VMware Cloud Community
mulliganesx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View / Report to Display ESXi Host Licensing

I have a view that is embedded into a report for extracting host inventory & details.  I would like to include additional properties for the ESXi host that show "License" "License Key" and "Product".   I do not see any of these as an allowable option.  I also checked super metrics Host System properties but do not see anything applicable. 

Has anyone experienced this or have a workaround for me to include this into a vROPS View?  

9 Replies
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert

As far as i know this is not available in the current release.

You maybe can add it as a custom property.

Check out below blog for more info:

Adding Custom Metrics and Properties to vRealize Operations Objects with the REST API - VMware Cloud...

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
Andreasvedaa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Im also looking to extract this type of data and list it along side other HW info a view inside vRealize Operations

But I only need the license name ex "VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus" pr host.

Anyone got tips on how to get this data into vRealize Operations?

I would say that this should have been a feature in the product by default.

0 Kudos
Yogadevi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I know we don’t have a default metric that can pull the licensing details

0 Kudos
Andyve_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is my understanding as well.

But the question is if anyone know another way to get the info into vRealize.  

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Run a script against your vcenter to pull the info out then use the REST API to create custom properties against the object in question in vrops. We do this for a storage type property for billing. Dont ask me how to do it as i am not a scripter i just know that we do

0 Kudos
Andyve_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, does anyone know how this is done?

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

If you are not into scripting you may be able to do it depending on how you licence your hosts will determine how complicated the below will be.

This will only work in 7.5

Create a custom group for a licence version. Create your membership rules to add the hosts that have that licence version (this is where it could be complicated)

When creating the custom group at the bottom expand the custom properties section and create a licence property and what ever string value you want for that licence name.

Every host that gets added to that group will get the property with the licence name attached

0 Kudos
okeedokee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That sounds like it would work, but I think this should really be a feature request--the vCenter Adapter should be able to pull licensing info.

0 Kudos
Andyve_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I totally agree that this should be a feature.

0 Kudos