VMware Cloud Community
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VRealize operation 8.4 Deployment - Unlicensed

Hello,

We are about to implement a new vROP in a client, however I would like to know if the installation can be carried out without having an active license.

I understand that the product is valid for 60 days without a license, but I want to validate and hear other suggestions. Can I deploy without having an active vROP license ?, or do I require a trial license to complete the vROP deployment.

virtualhelp_0-1624387691761.png

Regarding the size of the datastore where I am going to store vROP, how big should that datastore be? Or Is it advisable to create a new datastore to host only vROP ?.

Customer has active support with Vmware, but does not manage vROP licensing.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes vROPS will work without a license, however after the trial ends it will still collect data, just the UI won't be accessible or limited functionality until you enter a valid license. 

For sizing it is based on how many objects you are monitoring.  Use the vrops sizing calculator to get the right numbers.

https://vropssizer.vmware.com/

Personal blog VMignite.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes vROPS will work without a license, however after the trial ends it will still collect data, just the UI won't be accessible or limited functionality until you enter a valid license. 

For sizing it is based on how many objects you are monitoring.  Use the vrops sizing calculator to get the right numbers.

https://vropssizer.vmware.com/

0 Kudos
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Alright, you can unlicensed vROP and it will be active for the trial period. The trial version will be active with all the functionalities, I ask why we are going to deploy vROP Enterprise, so while the trial version lasts, we will be able to enjoy all the functionalities that the Enterprise version brings.

With the trial version, is there any limitation to monitor instances of operating systems and physical hosts?

For the resizing, as you indicate, I used the vropsizer, according to the objects to be monitored, the recommendation of the vropsizer indicates a small node with 196 GB on disk. I must host the vrop vm in a datastore with enough space to avoid disk-level latency problems, in case there are other vms in another repository.

virtualhelp_0-1624532682319.png

Similarly using the vrop sizer, it is recommended to have a single datastore to host the vROP.?

Regarding the networking part, is an additional vswitch required only for the vROP network ?.

0 Kudos
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From what I've been checking, I can put the ROP on the management network.

Or do I also require another additional portgroup just for vROP

0 Kudos
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vROPS is very straightforward install, just install it the same way any other VM on your network.  Use the same VM network and datastore.  The trial version limitation is pretty high so no worries here.  Just select a small build and it will preconfigure the disk for you.

0 Kudos
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok ok note, then I am going to host it in a datastore that has enough free space, with zeroed eager provisioning, which is recommended for better performance.

Additional then I follow the recommendation of vropsizing to make the deployment. According to the objects to monitor, it indicates a Small node

0 Kudos
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One last question I have, however I have already deployed vrop in a lab environment on my local machine.

In the dropdown fields domain name and domain search path.

Domain search path can you leave the field blank?

And put in the domain name field, the name of the vm together with the domain, example: vrop.localhost.com

or it should be placed in domain name: localhost.com and domain search path: localhost.com

or in domain name: vrop and in domain search path: localhost.com

What would be the recommended way to fill in these two fields? In my case I placed

for example

domain name: vrop

domain search path: localhost.com

0 Kudos
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You don't need a domain for vROPS to work.  But if you do have a domain, just enter in your domain name such as vmignite.com. 

https://vrealizeandbeyond.com/2019/09/vrealize-operations-manager-8-0-deployment-guide/

0 Kudos