VMware Cloud Community
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VRealize 6.01 - Idle VMs report

Hi,

How is the time period for the Idle VM report derived? In the help for VRealize 6.01 it says:

An object is considered to be idle when the object operates below the idlelevel for the defined percentage of time. For example, when the CPU idle level is set to 100 MHz for a virtual machine, and the flag for the idle level is set to 90%, the virtual machine is considered to be idle when the speed of its CPU drops below 100 MHz for 90% of the time.

what is the time? where can I find what the value is? If I hand someone the Idle VM report, How can I determine how long the VM has been idle?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
thomsonac
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure the Idle period is the same period defined in the "Time" policy section although I'm not positive.

0 Kudos
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. I checked the policy under Virtual Machines and see the time settings are disabled by default. I enabled them just to read them and see it says 30 days for non-trending. See below. Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 4.28.28 PM.png

So, Does someone know what the default sampling period is for the Idle VM report?

0 Kudos
thomsonac
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure the default time is 30 days as you seen when you first enable the override for the policy.  You can adjust the number of days up or down as needed.

0 Kudos
JihemmeT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Actually, it wasn't disabled, it was just set to use default values. When you "enable" this set of parameters, it just allows you to modify default behavior.

The policy you are using is a child of another one and inherited all its parameters you can override by enabling the parameter set.

Default is 30 days, as previously mentioned.

Regards

0 Kudos