VMware Cloud Community
tomtomv
Contributor
Contributor

VROPS seems to be missing key data

I've been using VCOPS 5 for a while now and its always generated a large amount of useful data for me.  After rolling out a new VROPS 6 install and letting it gather data for 2 weeks it seems to be lacking most of the key data. On the summary screen it shows no health issues, no risk issues and no efficiency issues. Also on the report generations it shows "no data".

I can see that there all of my objects are visible in VROPS (hosts, VMs, clusters etc) and it is using the default profile.  The status also shows collecting and receiving data so it looks as though everything is correct.  I cant think of anything else to troubleshoot now, does VROPS just need longer to collect data before it can do anything useful?  I would have at least expected the oversized reports to generate some data at this stage.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
FishadrTMS
Contributor
Contributor

It should have data there for you to analyse. Have you installed the latest update PAK file? There has been an issue with the previous version which resulted in missing data but not at the level you are seeing. It might help.

VROps gets data from vCenter as it happens. You usually see data pretty quickly but there is usually a lot missing for the first 7 to 11 days. 30 days is a safe time to get real analytics from this. Most of the data analytics is processed around 1am each morning, so unless the VM is off during this period you should have reports.

0 Kudos
markelliott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a little add-on is that the timing changed in vROPs and is now 10PM rather than 1AM as it used to be in vCOPs.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

v5 was largely relying on anomalies, KPI, workload, faults for Health of objects. v6 shifts to be largely Alert-based for influencing Health,Risk,Efficiency values. Alerts IMPACT these badge scores. Now on the data collection itself.. make sure you've got the proper perms to collect your data from vCenter with propagation enabled, with firewall ports 443, 8443, 10443 open to vCenter FROM the collecting vR Ops nodes. Specifically, give me a metric names and for which object types that you think are missing..

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos