VMware Cloud Community
Cbroad1
Contributor
Contributor

VMs grouped by custom attribute

Hoping someone can help me, we are trying to show application resources usage in our environment.

Each VM has a custom attribute that has the name of the application it belongs to.
I have been able to use a pie chart to show number of VMs per "application" but i want to be able to do the same with number of CPU cores, GB memory and GB storage assigned per application but i cant seem to find a way to do it.

Ideally it would be another pie chart but any view that sums the resource allocation per application would be fine?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You would need to create a custom group first based on your custom attribute.  Use this guide on how to create a custom group.

http://www.vmignite.com/2018/06/vrops-6-creating-custom-groups-like-a-pro/

Then you would point it the widget to that custom group.  See picture on where to put custom group.   Make sure self provider is selected in the Configuration section. 

lannguyen_0-1628613900902.png

Personal blog VMignite.com
mghal40
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may need to create a custom group under Environment. Call it Applications or Customer, then create sub groups with the individual applications under it. I've used that to create this dashboard.

mghal40_0-1629228501944.png

0 Kudos
Cbroad1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both for your ideas, i did think about making custom groups for each application but at the current count we have about 150 applications/categories.

Does anyone have an idea on how i might either be able to do it another way or use a script to make 150 custom groups?

0 Kudos
yotadude1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Others have used vSphere Tags to programmatically (scripts) create dynamic groups in vROPs. It is possible to use the API and query attributes instead of tags. If you see the link below you can review the Github repo and use this as a starting point. There is even a video that goes over the thought process

https://sajaldebnath.com/posts/automatically-create-custom-groups-vrops-per-vcenter-tags/

Hope it helps!

0 Kudos
Cbroad1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, this is very helpful.
I figured tags would have to be the way to go, I'll have a read and see what i can do 🙂

0 Kudos