VMware Cloud Community
Tottom
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Cloud Suite Standard Edition - VCOPS 5.8.1 - Alert Email Subjects change and where can it be done?

Hi all,

We have VMWare Cloud Suite Standard Edition - VCOPS 5.8.1 Could the subjects in Alert Emails

be changed and where can it be done? I have looked at the "emailFilter.xml" and the default templates and none of the changes i made reflected on the emails.

We would like to change the subject of the Alert email to a shortened summary of the issue. This would help with the limited space offered by the SMS system.

This is what the current Email Subject looks like:

"[VCOPS] new alert  Type:Health, Sub-Type:Faults, State:Critical, Kind:HostSystem, Name:xxx"

Like i said i messed around with the "emailFilter,xml", "generic.html" and created a template html file. Is it at all possible and how / where do i make the changes?

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Otto

3 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Each e-mail alert will say what template it is using if you look at it.. a lot of times it's generic.html for the simple stuff. On the Analytics VM, find the particular template file in the /default_templates folder under /conf in the email filter folder.

Edit the template. Restart the alert handler. Should be good to go.

Mark

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
Tottom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark. Thanks for the reply. Using the Analytics VM and path that you supplied:

1. I created a template called "New.html" with only the below in the file body (not sure if this would work)

$$Subject=Alert Test

2. I then changed the the "emailFilter.xml" to refer to this new template.     (all the new, update and cancel lines.)

3. Was not sure what you meant by restarting the "handler", I shut down the vApp and started it up again. None of the messages changed after this. New, Updated and Cancelled, are still showing the same subject.   

Subject: [VCOPS] updated alert  Type:Health, Sub-Type:Faults, State:Critical, Kind:VMwareAdapter Instance, Name: XXX

I attempted another shutdown of the vApp, but now it seems to have lost the VC registration and licensing.... busy reregistering.

Thanks,

Otto

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you referring to the Custom UI Admin guide for all of this? This stuff is in the guide, if you want a reference.

You don't need to restart the vApp when your changing these alerts - just restart the outbound alert handler, which you'd create to define the SMTP server.

Instead of starting from scratch, you can just duplicate a template and it's permissions for this test. Ensure you get the perms right on the template file.. admin owner, etc, otherwise it won't work. Look at the OOTB templates as a guide for perms.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos