VMware Cloud Community
DanielVaknin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM's Reclaimable capacity and Oversized VMs report

Hi,

There are 2 things that I didn't quite understand regarding the "Reclaimable Capacity" (on a VM level for example) and regarding the "Oversized VMs" report.

1. As you can see in the image below, under "Reclaimable Capacity" , when enlarging the "CPU" or "Memory", I see "% Reclaimable: 1 Month".

What does this 1 month represents? Can it be changed? What does it mean?

pastedImage_2.png

2. I have an issue where after generating the "Oversized VMs" report, there is information regarding some of the VMs, but also missing information (empty rows) on other VMs.

These VMs are up and running, and, in addition, I can see information on them in the "Reclaimable Capacity" on their object.

Does anyone knows why this happens?

Thanks!

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

1. The "one month" is a graphical representation of the amount of reclaimable capacity within the last month as illustrated in a solid line graph. For example, on the memory portion, you see way back there was a small portion before it jumped up. This is just indicating that close to a month ago, you could reclaim some memory, but now you can reclaim what calculates to 90.23%.
  2. What version of vROps are you on? Have you customized the out-of-the-box report (and corresponding view) at all? I have not observed this behavior.
DanielVaknin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply!

1. So can this be changed? I'm asking since at a customer site I see "% reclaimable: 14 days" and I want to understand why 14 days.

2. The report was generated at a customer site with vROPS 6.6.1. The "Oversized VMs" report was customized just a bit, since I wanted to remove unnecessary data from it.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

1. Yes, this is configurable in the policy.
  2. Without seeing your report/view and an example of your output, it's hard to pin down a cause.
DanielVaknin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!

1. Can you please point me to where can I configure it within the policy? I couldn't find it...

2. I'll check if I can get this information from the customer.

0 Kudos