VMware Cloud Community
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

VCOPs email alerts filter by Application

Hi,

i need to create an email alerts to specific groups by vcops application.

does anyone have a sample emailfilter.xml exapmle for this?

thanks,

Itay

14 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Certainly.

<FilterRule name="SQLFarmAlerts">

<Conditions>

<condition type="Application">SQL Server Farm</condition>

<condition type="Level">Critical</condition>

</Conditions>

<Addresses>

<sendTo type="email">SQLAdmins@example.com</sendTo>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

See the VMware vCenter Operations Manager Administration Guide, page 82, for details.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

i got one more question,

i need to get an alarms about workload of the virtual machines that are under the application.

does my syntax is correct?

<FilterRule name="Intranet">

<Conditions>

<condition type="Application">Intranet</condition>

<condition alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="New">Intranet.html</condition>

<condition alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="Active">Intranet.html</condition>

<condition alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="Cancel">Intranet.html</condition>

<condition alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="Update">Intranet.html</condition>

</Conditions>

<Addresses>

<sendTo type="email">itay.mesholam@emc.com</sendTo>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

0 Kudos
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

i got this error message while i was try to put your syntax

VCOPS smtp.JPG

if i use the deafult template the test message works fine.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What you have is no good for a number of reasons. I'm going to assume you're using the same template for all statuses for some special purpose.

Let's try this..

Stick this up in with the templates:

<Template alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="NEW" sentTo="itay.mesholam@emc.com">Intranet.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="UPDATE" sentTo="itay.mesholam@emc.com">Intranet.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="CANCEL" sentTo="itay.mesholam@emc.com">Intranet.html</Template>

Put this down with the filters:

<Conditions>

<condition type="AlertType">Health</condition>

</Conditions>

<Addresses>

<sendTo type="email">itay.mesholam@emc.com</sendTo>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

*If this was for a specific application, I'd put an app_admin distribution list for the sendTo.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

i attached the filter.xml file after i was try what you suggested.

i still got the same error.

thanks a lot for the help!

- <EmailFilter>

- <Templates>

<Template alert_type="Administrative" alert_subtype="Environment" status="New">New-Administrative-Environment.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Administrative" alert_subtype="Environment" status="Cancel">Cancel-Administrative-Environment.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Administrative" alert_subtype="System" status="New">New-Administrative-System.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Administrative" alert_subtype="System" status="Cancel">Cancel-Administrative-System.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Application" status="New">New-Application.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Application" status="Cancel">Cancel-Application.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Classic" alert_subtype="Abnormality" status="New">New-Classic-Abnormality.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Classic" alert_subtype="Abnormality" status="Cancel">Cancel-Classic-Abnormality.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Classic" alert_subtype="KPI_HT_Breach" status="New">New-Classic-KPI_HT_Breach.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Classic" alert_subtype="KPI_HT_Breach" status="Cancel">Cancel-Classic-KPI_HT_Breach.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Classic" alert_subtype="Notification" status="New">New-Classic-Notification.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Classic" alert_subtype="Notification" status="Cancel">Cancel-Classic-Notification.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Fingerprint_Generation" status="New">New-Fingerprint_Generation.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Fingerprint_Generation" status="Cancel">Cancel-Fingerprint_Generation.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Fingerprint_Prediction" status="New">New-Fingerprint_Prediction.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Fingerprint_Prediction" status="Update">Update-Fingerprint_Prediction.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Fingerprint_Prediction" status="Cancel">Cancel-Fingerprint_Prediction.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Resource" status="New">New-Resource.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Resource" status="Cancel">Cancel-Resource.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Smart" alert_subtype="Earlywarning" status="New">New-Smart-Earlywarning.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Smart" alert_subtype="Earlywarning" status="Cancel">Cancel-Smart-Earlywarning.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Smart" alert_subtype="KPI_Breach" status="New">New-Smart-KPI_Breach.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Smart" alert_subtype="KPI_Breach" status="Cancel">Cancel-Smart-KPI_Breach.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Smart" alert_subtype="KPI_Prediction" status="New">New-Smart-KPI_Prediction.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Smart" alert_subtype="KPI_Prediction" status="Update">Update-Smart-KPI_Prediction.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Smart" alert_subtype="KPI_Prediction" status="Cancel">Cancel-Smart-KPI_Prediction.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Tier" status="New">New-Tier.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Tier" status="Cancel">Cancel-Tier.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="NEW" sentTo="itay.mesholam@orange.co.il">Intranet.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="UPDATE" sentTo="itay.mesholam@orange.co.il">Intranet.html</Template>

<Template alert_type="Health" alert_subtype="Workload" status="CANCEL" sentTo="itay.mesholam@orange.co.il">Intranet.html</Template>

- <!--
 Template sendTo="xyz@integrien.com" alert_type="CLASSIC" alert_subtype="KPI_HT_Breach" status="NEW">xxx.txt</Template 
--> 

</Templates>

- <FilterRule name="Intranet">

- <Conditions>

</Conditions>

- <Addresses>

<sendTo type="email">itay.mesholam@orange.co.il</sendTo>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

- <FilterRule name="WebTierAlerts">

- <Conditions>

<condition type="Application">Online Trading</condition>

<condition type="Tier">Online Trading:Web</condition>

<condition type="Level">immediate</condition>

</Conditions>

- <Addresses>

<sendTo type="sms">itay.mesholam@orange.co.il</sendTo>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

- <FilterRule name="ResourceKindAlerts">

- <Conditions>

<condition type="ResourceKind">OPEN_API:DEMO</condition>

<condition type="Status">Cancel</condition>

<condition type="Tier">Online Trading:Network</condition>

</Conditions>

- <Addresses>

<sendTo type="email" resend="2">itay.mesholam@orange.co.il</sendTo>

<sendTo type="sms" delay="5">itay.mesholam@orange.co.il</sendTo>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

<FileReloadTimeInMinutes>10</FileReloadTimeInMinutes>

<SendFromEmail>vcops-admin@example.com</SendFromEmail>

<Subject>VCOps alert message</Subject>

</EmailFilter>

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does the Intranet.html template file exist int eh ./conf/<templates folder> directory?

Please attach it here.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have a question for you. What is the configuration of your alert handlers that you tested above? Can you attach a screenshot of the one that failed and one that worked?

0 Kudos
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

after i saw your comment i was try to change the intranet.html to generic.html but still i got the messege error.

the akert handelr that work is the original emailfilter.xml that i just change there the email address.

i think taht i need to understand that my steps are ok:

1. i create an application via the custom

2. i create an email handler in the outbound configure

email handler.JPG

3. change the emailfilter.xml and insert the rows that you wrote to me, i leave there all the comments and the exsiting condition rows.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Let's put your custom template aside for a moment. Try this and see if it works:

1. Drop the 3 custom template rows above.

2. Use this content for the filter rule:

- <Conditions>

</Conditions>

- <Addresses>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

0 Kudos
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

no still the same error

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

See, that seems suspect to me. We're not doing any custom templates in that test and the error is pointing to the SMTP handler.

Do you 'require' SSL for SMTP? If not, can you do me a favor and delete the setting for "secure connection type" and set "secure connection" to "no"? Then set the SMTP host to the IP address of the SMTP server not the FQDN. Then try again.

If that doesn't work, delete and recreate the alert handler and try again.

0 Kudos
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

i was try to remove the ssl but still got the same error in the test.

i i use the deafult emailfilter.xml and then change in this rows the email address it's work and i got a test email:

</Templates>

- <FilterRule name="WebTierAlerts">

- <Conditions>

<condition type="Application">Online Trading</condition>

<condition type="Tier">Online Trading:Web</condition>

<condition type="Level">immediate</condition>

</Conditions>

- <Addresses>

<sendTo type="sms">itay.mesholam@orange.co.il</sendTo>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

- <FilterRule name="ResourceKindAlerts">

- <Conditions>

<condition type="ResourceKind">OPEN_API:DEMO</condition>

<condition type="Status">Cancel</condition>

<condition type="Tier">Online Trading:Network</condition>

</Conditions>

- <Addresses>

<sendTo type="email" resend="2">itay.mesholam@orange.co.il</sendTo>

<sendTo type="sms" delay="5">itay.mesholam@orange.co.il</sendTo>

</Addresses>

</FilterRule>

<FileReloadTimeInMinutes>10</FileReloadTimeInMinutes>

<SendFromEmail>vcops-admin@example.com</SendFromEmail>

<Subject>VCOps alert message</Subject>

</EmailFilter>

0 Kudos
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

i don't know what was changed but now this is not work also with the deafult, i got the same error.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
itayms
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

after making some homeworks i need your help to create the email filter.

this my application ELA, i need that when one of the virtual machine that are under the ELA are having Workload i will recive an email alarm.

this is the example of ny app:

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos