VMware Cloud Community
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCOPS Folder Resource Kind

Hi all!

I would like to build a dashboard, select a vCenter, for example, show me a list of all the folders. From the various tests done, no one has brought good results because the Resource Kind "folder" does not exist (yet in Envinronment Overview, in the Resource column Kind, if I select an object folder, Folder brings me correctly!).

Is there a way to solve the problem? I would like to avoid using the Application because they are not dynamic and, therefore, if it is created in vSphere a new folder, would not appear.

Thank you!!!

Matrix

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Folders, like folders in VC?

you can see that with the VC relationships widget for example, all the VC folders will be shown there at the second level (just under VC) as custom groups

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So, Folder resources are collected by vCOps. They're displayed in the tag list on the left in Environment Overview. Like other tags, if they aren't visible in the Environment Overview and/or Widget config, go to "Manage ResourceKind Tags" and ensure you've got them visible. Once that is done, you can switch over to a widget config and populate a list ofFolders.

In terms of Interaction you're attempting, let's think about that for a moment. You want to select a vCenter resource and see a list of associated Folder resources.

Let's think about the relationship between the items you're working with.

You've got vCenter, which is of ResourceKind vCenter.

The children of the vCenter ResourceKind (RKs) are DataCenter RKs. Further down the Descendants you won't find any relationships to Folder Resources at all.

In fact, there aren't -ANY- relationships constructed for Folder Resources. This also means Folder nesting/recursive references aren't recognized at all in vCOps OOTB. So you can forget utilizing any type of parent/child relationships.

SO let's look for a solution here. You may not be able to identify a folder by "vCenter" Resource, but you can do it by none other than the vCenter Adapte Instance resource that is collecting the Folder.

Add a Tag Selector widget and a Resource widget. Set the Resource widget to filter tags by resource kind "Folder".

Then set an interaction to Provide Selected Resources from the Tag selector to the Folder list.

In the Tags selector, expand Adapter Instances > vCenter Server > click on a vCenter instance (call it "vc1" for example). Then you'll see the list of Folders populate in the Resource widget.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First of all, thanks for your helpful reply. In fact I had already thought of something like that, but it does not seem very flexible. What I expected from vCOPS was the tag "folder" under the heading Resource Kinds.

What you are stating is actually a tag, but it shows me the list of existing folders. This means that I necessarily have to select them one by one if I want to filter a widget resource type, and I wanted something more flexible (as is the case for other RKS as datastores, hosts, etc..).

I do not understand why it was never intended that RK "generic".

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To add to the folders behavior and treatment in VCOps:

Folders in VC are converted to adapter defined Custom Groups in vSphere UI. So check the vSphere UI. Some of the Custom Groups functionality might be valuable to you and all folders are Custom Groups there. You have a population based dashboard, automatic creation/deletion of folder based custom groups, so you don't need to worry about syncing back end forth between VCOps and VC.

Thanks,

Alex D.

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, thank you for your answer.

Matrix

0 Kudos
levonti
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I encountered the same problem in vCenter Operations Manager 5.8.

Afetr read David Davis on vCenter Operations – Post #10 – Configuring Policies and Groups | VMware Cloud Manage... I create group, where add search criteria: All -> Descendant Of  (equals) [Folder Name]

This is very simple solutions for meSmiley Happy

Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello...

Thank you for your answer!

Matrix

0 Kudos