VMware Cloud Community
scrote
Contributor
Contributor

VCOPS EMC VNX Connector License

I am currently being bounced between VMware Licensing and EMC Licensing over how to obtain an evaluation license for the EMC VNX Connector for VCOPS.  From what I understand, the product is sold by both companies (by EMC as Storage Analytics 1.5 Adapter) but neither vendor seems to be able to provide a license.

Has anyone managed to obtain an eval license for this?  The license key is required when adding the EMC Adapter in the Custom UI for a VNX Block device - even though in the GUI it states "License (optional)".

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mlebied
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

EMC provided me an eval license for the EMC Storage Analytics product. As you stated, the license key is required when configuring the VNX Block device, so it's stands to reason the license key comes from EMC.

Once you have the adapter live, would you mind posting your feedback here. We are also evaluating the adapter and are interested to hear others feedback.

We are anxiously awaiting the new VMAX adapter, as we use the VNX/VG8 to front-end out VMAX and server up block storage as NFS for vSphere. Having the new VMAX adapter should allow us end-to-end performance, capacity, and drill down from vSphere datastores to the back-end block storage...

0 Kudos
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As for the VNX Connector, what do you want to know? We were part of the BETA and have been using it for almost a year now and really like the data that comes from it.

0 Kudos
scrote
Contributor
Contributor

EMC are now telling me that ESA is a VMware product since it is fundamentally a stripped down version of VCOPS.  VMware don't know anything about the EMC VNX Connector license.  Going round in circles....

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi scrote,

Sorry you are having trouble getting answers for this.  The ESA product is essentially the adapter for vC Ops as well as custom dashboards that are included with the adapter.  You can run the adapter on vC Ops if you have the custom UI available to you (currently Advanced or Enterprise editions).

The vC Ops software provided by EMC with the ESA gives you the ability to run ESA.  From what I understand it is essentially an "Enterprise" edition license for vC Ops.

So, to get you started, you only need to get the evaluation license for vC Ops from VMware for the Enterprise edition.  You can do so at this link -http://www.vmware.com/go/try-vcenter-ops

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos