VMware Cloud Community
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using conditions in XML Files

Hello everyone,

this is what i want to do in my dashboard where i show all the troubles going on;

I want to show total VMs that have high CPU ready, so I created a list with a filter. What I want to do next is to make it more visual than just a list, i want to have a scoreboard box red with the total number of VMs that have high CPU ready. How to do that? I've thought of distribution view but it's blue ... super metrics I can't specify the value of the metric or define a filter, I don't know if it's possible to implement in XML with If else ? 

Thank you so much in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ok got ya

A heatmap will be perfect

1 create a new Group type (under content) in my case a called it CPU ready

pastedImage_0.png

2 Create a new custom group (under environment) Again I called it CPU ready (change your greater than % to what ever you want)

pastedImage_1.png

3 Create your heatmap Put your max value at what you put in your custom group and the min value lower that the group. That way the boxes will never change from red Because you ticked keep group membership up to date the heat map should change on each collection interval and in the filter select the custom group from under what you called the group type.

pastedImage_2.png

The higher the ready the bigger the box and will be limited to the VMs in the custom group.

pastedImage_3.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I don't know how to do what you are after but there is an OOTB dashboard for all things CPU and is very visual. I am not a fan of a list saying you have x number of VMs doing something wrong I would rather know which VMs they are.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The thing in the heatmap is that you can't put a filter, it will show all the VMs in one heat map. I have a lot of VMs (over 2000 ) and it will not be good to show everything. because i'll have issues only at 10 or 20 ...
0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ok got ya

A heatmap will be perfect

1 create a new Group type (under content) in my case a called it CPU ready

pastedImage_0.png

2 Create a new custom group (under environment) Again I called it CPU ready (change your greater than % to what ever you want)

pastedImage_1.png

3 Create your heatmap Put your max value at what you put in your custom group and the min value lower that the group. That way the boxes will never change from red Because you ticked keep group membership up to date the heat map should change on each collection interval and in the filter select the custom group from under what you called the group type.

pastedImage_2.png

The higher the ready the bigger the box and will be limited to the VMs in the custom group.

pastedImage_3.png

sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The only other thigh you might want to do is tick the refresh content

0 Kudos
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is awesome thank you so much ! 

0 Kudos
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One more question, the groups are they dynamic ? If a VM is in that group because it has CPU ready 30% and after few days the value goes down, will this VM stays inside the groupe ?
0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you have the keep membership updated ticked in the group it should add and remove them. To be honest this is the first time i have tried this type of group so i would do some checks to make sure it is updating

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Here is a screenshot for today it is down to 49 from 56 yesterday

CPU ready.png

0 Kudos