VMware Cloud Community
CJMills
Contributor
Contributor

User/Group Permissions within vR OP 6.2

So we are transforming how our IT department aligns by creating cells of IT works based on application functions (Administration, Financial, ect). Each of these cells with have a server resource allocated to them. We (Storage and Virtualization team) will be farming out monitoring of these cells specific servers to them. Within vSphere 6 we have used the folder view to assign all their servers to in one place. Our team uses the Host and Clusters view for management and work.

What is the best way to transfer the folders view from vSphere client to vR OP? I have been unable to find any way of importing so I am resigned to doing it manually, but I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to accomplish this. I have messed around with Environments but I do not see how I can apply access permissions so that the appropriate team only sees their servers/resources.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Mills - Lead Technical Engineer, SCHS

3 Replies
Travdaddy10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can create your groupings using the relationship the VM has to VM folder. You create groups on the Environment tab. After you create the application group you'd take the Finance department AD group and only give it permission to view the group you created. You'd do that in Access Control, which is in the navigation pane on the Administration page. Hope this helps.

Capture5.PNG

Capture11.PNG

CJMills
Contributor
Contributor

Travdaddy10...

Thanks for that tip. I will look into that type of implementation shortly. I might hit you back up if I have any other questions.

Thank you,

Mills

0 Kudos
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This guide here can help you understand how to lock down the roles and permissions better.

http://www.vmignite.com/2016/02/vrops-6-how-to-lockdown-user-groups-to-see-only-specific-dashboards-...

Personal blog VMignite.com