VMware Cloud Community
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading from vROPs 7.5 to 8.4 - Stuck on Waiting on Analytics

Hi,

My upgrade actually completed to 8.4, but now in an attempt to bring the cluster back online. It has been stuck on "Waiting on Analytics" for over 24 hours. I have one master node (Super Large) and 3 remote collectors.

Any suggestions?

ooajala_0-1639060327120.png

Thanks for the help.

--
*** If you like my response, please click "Like" below, if you think I answered your question to the best of my abilities, please mark post as Correct Answer ***

3x vROps Environments implemented across my organization. VDI vROPs 8.4 ::: Epic vROPs 8.4 ::: Shared vROPs 7.0
vROPs Adapters in use: EpicCare & Horizon View Adapter 2.1
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jimmy_Phillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We cleared the alarms and the alerts before we upgraded.

Tags (1)
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was doing some research on the waiting on analytics, do you think its possible that there is an index rebuild going on behind the scenes that's delaying the cluster to come back online.

I was of the assumption that things such as alerts and alarms would not really affect it as much and/or just resurface.

--
*** If you like my response, please click "Like" below, if you think I answered your question to the best of my abilities, please mark post as Correct Answer ***

3x vROps Environments implemented across my organization. VDI vROPs 8.4 ::: Epic vROPs 8.4 ::: Shared vROPs 7.0
0 Kudos
Jimmy_Phillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I thought the same thing as you did about the alerts and alarms. We began the upgrade on the first vROPs system. We were stuck on 'waiting on analytics'. Then we cleared the alerts and alarms. It worked faster and completed the analytics. We had another vROPs system on a different network to upgrade. We tried without clearing the alerts and alarms. Again, we were stuck on 'waiting on analytics'. We then cleared alerts and the alarms. It worked.

Tags (1)
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a script to purge alerts and alarms?

Actually I found the command line to clear these. I will let you know.

Thanks so much for your help Jimmy!

--

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The command doesn't work for the new 8.4 version of vROPs.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2123921

su - postgres -c "/opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin/psql -d vcopsdb -p 5432"

I am getting the below error:

psql.bin: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting
connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Do you have one I could run? 

--

0 Kudos
Uday_Mantri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Could you please confirm if there is any error listed in Pre-Update System Validation Check from Admin UI. Also please make sure that there is no root/admin password issue by following KB KB article 75195.

ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for responding Uday. I don't have any issues with root/admin password.

On the pre-update validation check, I had two issues related with NTP on two of the collectors and the second was confirming that all nodes are on the same version which they were.

I verified the NTP settings were valid

ooajala_0-1639085658129.png

--

0 Kudos
Jimmy_Phillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The commands from that KB article worked for me on versions 7.5, 8.1, and 8.4.

I thought you were upgrading 8.4 so I assumed you reverted back to 7.5.

Sorry. I have to ask. Are you using SSH to run the commands? The file "psql" is in the /opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin/.

The mistake I usually make that I don't add the space before or after the dash between su and postgres.

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I am using SSH to run the command, but the problem is that I am getting a permission denied. Help!

ooajala_0-1639146505785.png

FYI, the vROPs successfully upgraded to 8.4 but now the cluster is stalling to come online.

--

0 Kudos
Jimmy_Phillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try typing "cd /" before the command.

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried with a space and then without a space after the forward slash

Too many arguments

ooajala_0-1639151638241.png

--

0 Kudos
Jimmy_Phillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

type cd / and hit enter. Then the command...

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error changed to "no such file or directory"

ooajala_0-1639152689354.png

--

0 Kudos
Jimmy_Phillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have -s instead of -c after postgres.

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jimmy - Unless you are referring to somewhere else, it clearly shows -c and not -s after postgres.

Please let me know.

--

0 Kudos