VMware Cloud Community
kiruka4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Understanding options in the reports settings

I try  modify the reports settings. In the settings I can choose "Report period" and "Report interval".

In the VMware vCenter Operations Manager Getting Started Guide said :"If you select a monthly report period with weekly report intervals, your monthly report includes a weekly breakdown of the data. Your selection must be smaller than or equal to the entry you select for the Report period setting."

But I don't understand what does it mean : "a weekly breakdown of the data". Does it means that data will be sent only one time in a week? I have a VM that working every friday from 12.00 to 14.00. Rest of the time it is off. But if VCOPS will be get data only one time in week, not in this interval, then my VM will enter in the Powered Off Virtual Machines Report.

Explain to me, please, how does it work?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Reports settings don't modify the data at all. The period is the time you want to report on, and the interval is the intervals/granularity you want to see the data in. So if you have a monthly period, you'd usually have a weekly or daily interval... giving you 4 or 30 data points depending on interval selection. If you did period of month and interval of month, you'd just get one data point of analysis. So the data is avg'd/normalized to a degree of that interval.. it's not just one random data point from some point in that interval.

The working hours of that particular workload isn't going to have any special "reporting" setting, however as a side note, in the config policy applied to that VM workload you may want to set the working hours to influence the undersized/oversized/efficiency analysis.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Reports settings don't modify the data at all. The period is the time you want to report on, and the interval is the intervals/granularity you want to see the data in. So if you have a monthly period, you'd usually have a weekly or daily interval... giving you 4 or 30 data points depending on interval selection. If you did period of month and interval of month, you'd just get one data point of analysis. So the data is avg'd/normalized to a degree of that interval.. it's not just one random data point from some point in that interval.

The working hours of that particular workload isn't going to have any special "reporting" setting, however as a side note, in the config policy applied to that VM workload you may want to set the working hours to influence the undersized/oversized/efficiency analysis.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
kiruka4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos