VMware Cloud Community
AnthonySpiteri2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UI Timeout Settings

Hey all.

Is there a way from the web console to increase the login timeout setting? I'm finding it a little on the low side and it's a pain logging back in and resetting the views.

I loged into the cli of the UI VM, but couldn't find any web server timeout like settings?

Would be nice to set it to extend ala the vCloud console etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi, there is no way to change the default timeout from the UI. Right now the only way to change/remove it is this:

On the UI VM, edit  /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat/webapps/vcops-vsphere/WEB-INF/web.xml and  adjust the value for session-timeout parameter. Minus one (-1) results  in an infinite timeout - the session will not expire at all.
Restart the Apache Tomcat web server by entering the command "service vcopsweb restart".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi, there is no way to change the default timeout from the UI. Right now the only way to change/remove it is this:

On the UI VM, edit  /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat/webapps/vcops-vsphere/WEB-INF/web.xml and  adjust the value for session-timeout parameter. Minus one (-1) results  in an infinite timeout - the session will not expire at all.
Restart the Apache Tomcat web server by entering the command "service vcopsweb restart".

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This will be added to the Release Notes soon. Here is the "official" writeup:

Summary: Changing the default session timeout for vCenter Operations Manager

Description:

The  default session timeout value for vCenter Operations Manager is 30  minutes. For monitoring purposes, you might want to change this default.  For example, you might want the session never to expire, in which case  you would set an infinite timeout.

How you change the default timeout value differs for the vSphere and the Custom user interfaces (UIs).

To change the default timeout in the vSphere UI in the vApp:
1.  On the UI VM, edit  /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat/webapps/vcops-vsphere/WEB-INF/web.xml and  adjust the value for session-timeout parameter. Minus one (-1) results  in an infinite timeout--the session will not expire at all.
2. Restart the Apache Tomcat web server by entering the command: service vcopsweb restart

For  the Custom UI, both the vApp and Enterprise Standalone versions have  built-in auto-transition and auto-refresh features to keep the session  logged in. Go to any widget and edit it with the gear button for  automatic refresh, or go to dashboard options for auto-transition  settings.

Tsasha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After you edit  /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat/webapps/vcops-vsphere/WEB-INF/web.xml

How do you exit and save changes..?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should be able to save and close the file in whatever editor you are using. Does this answer your question?

Thanks, Victoria

0 Kudos
Tsasha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your Email. I am currently out of the office till Tuesday 28th August.

Please contact the H.I.S Service Desk on extension 1234 option 2.

Thanks

Tsasha Knower

Harrods Information Systems

Client Services Team Leader

Disclaimer: Harrods Limited, Registered in London. Company Number 30209. Registered Office: 87-135 Brompton Road, Knightsbridge, London. SW1X 7XL. This message has been sent via the Internet. Internet communications are not secure against interception or modification. Harrods Ltd therefore can not guarantee that this message has not been modified in transit. This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and destroy your copies of the message and any attached files.

0 Kudos
wreigle2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran through the steps for editing the web.xml file and it appears to have completely hosed my Ops Manager setup.

I set the timeout to "-1".  Running the 'service vcopsweb restart' command successfully stopped the service however it then got stuck waiting for the service to restart.  I tried rebooting the VMs to no avail.  I now get a nice 404 when I try to load the vcops-vsphere webpage.

I set the timeout back to 30 but that did not fix the issue.

_________

UPDATE:  There was malformed XML.  I was able to correct that and then get Ops Manager working again.  No issue with the steps above.

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi wreigle2,

Just a hunch but check and see if you have free disk space on the /data partition?  Run df -h on the console of both VMs.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
wreigle2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the idea jddias.  I checked on both VMs and they are at 3% used and 6% used for the /data drive.  So plenty of free space.

I've had vcops 5 running for only about 2 weeks so its a fairly new environment.

If there are any other ideas I'm all ears.  Else I fear I'll have to blow this away and do a fresh install of vcops.

0 Kudos
AnthonySpiteri2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'd say you have malformed the XML of that file when editing or saving... You should be able to copy in the original file... I can get it for you later if you want.

0 Kudos
wreigle2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anthony,

It would be awesome if you can get me the original web.xml file.  I would definitely like to try swapping that in.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
wreigle2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I pulled down the XML and ran it through a validator.  There was in fact a malformed tag about 50 lines up from the change I made to the timeout setting.  No idea how I managed to do that but it's back in working order now!

Thanks for the help guys!

0 Kudos