VMware Cloud Community
dgoldsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Test Install - Unable to fetch data

I am testing vRealize Operations Manager in two locations.

In the first location, the vCenter Server uses the embedded lightweight SQL service on the same server.  In this case, all the data about the VMs is present in the vRealize Operations dashboard when looking at environment -> Clusters -> specific cluster -> Analysis -> Capacity Remaining.

In the second location, the vCenter Server is on one VM and it uses an external SQL Server on another domain and Active Directory is not in use here.  Similar detailed data is not present within this instance and I get the message "Unable to fetch data".  This appear to be due to the use of SQL Authentication rather than Windows Authentication with a domain account.

Other than setting up AD and modifying the vCenter/SQL services to use AD accounts for authentication, is there a way to get the vRealize Operations Manager to access the same level of data on the second evaluation setup?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vR Ops doesn't care what database you're using for vCenter Server. vR Ops hits the API of vCenter server, never the DB. You give vR Ops the vCenter Server credentials needed, it hits vCenter Server's API/SDK and Inventory services, but never the db directly. What metrics specifically can't you get?

I would mentioned that vR Ops also relies on the storage management services, so if it is down on vCenter Server, vR Ops won't be able to collecting disk/datastore capacity info and those sections in vR Ops will show "?" and not be able to calculate. Check to ensure SMS is running.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos