VMware Cloud Community
Gaprofitt17
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tag and Metric Graph

Hey All,

I am building a dashboard for an environment of 70 VM's.  Trying to think of the best way to do this.  I have some heat maps, a resource widget that list the all VM's.  I want to
be able to select a VM in the resource widget and have it display certain metrics without creating an XML file.  When I do this now and set the interaction it
shows all kinds of stats.  In the metric graph widget I have one VM selected and added for CPU usage.  Can I do this without the XML file?

A couple of other questions.

How do I create TOP-N widget limited to only the VM's in my tag? When I select the TAG it still shows other VM's not in the TAG?

What other thoughts would be good for a 70 VM dashboard?  Can I show machines low on disk space, etc?

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to create an XML file, or the resource interaction file, to display a predefined set of metrics. When you config the Top-N widget, on the left side of the edit widget area, start with the tag you want to filter by. It'll only show resources that are children of that tag. 70 VM dashboard? No difference really from a 5000 VM dashboard. Make everything dynamic and you'll be good to go.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Gaprofitt17
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Mark,

Can you give me an example of how I would so say CPU usage and Memory usage for a VM in the XML file?  Would this require a supermetric?  I don't see a parameter for CPU and or Memory Usage %.

Thanks so much,

Greg

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a dashboard where I select a VM in the Resource widget and the Graphs widget automatically displays Mem, CPU, Network, and Disk stats.

And because I have the real estate on my monitor, I can select two resources (4 total widgets) so I can easily compare two.

I have one dashboard for Guests and another dashboard for Hosts.

This is my XML for VMs:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<AdapterKinds>

<AdapterKind adapterKindId="4" adapterKindKey="VMWARE">

<ResourceKind resourceKindId="15" resourceKindKey="VirtualMachine">

<Metric attrkeyId="269" attrkey="cpu|usage_average"/>

<Metric attrkeyId="398" attrkey="mem|usage_average"/>

<Metric attrkeyId="189" />

<Metric attrkeyId="194" />

</ResourceKind>

</AdapterKind>

</AdapterKinds>

I used KB 2011714 for help - especially in finding the "attrkeyId"

It's been a while since I set this up so my head isn't into it right now as far as all the fun, tips and tricks it took to get there.  But I have noted that it is case sensitive ... and spelling counts :smileylaugh:

Enjoy the ride!

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When you create the XML file, something that I've covered a good bit in past posts in this forum (look for them), you do not need to populate the attrkeyid.. only the attrkey is necessary, making the lookup of names easier.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos