VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

SuperMetric not showing up

I've created a supermetric on a virtual disk counter for virtual machines. 

I added datacenter and compute cluster objects to the supermetric.

I edited a policy to turn on the supermetric. 

I see the supermetric appear at the vCenter level but not the datacenter or compute cluster level.

Why can't I see it at the datacenter or compute cluster level?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How did you setup your supermetric? You are using virtual machine metrics but are applying the supermetric on a parent object. You have to specify the depth of the metric. For an example look it this blog, http://virtual-red-dot.info/how-to-create-a-super-metric-in-vrealize-operations-6/

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

This is how i set it up:

sum(${adaptertype=VMWARE, objecttype=VirtualMachine, attribute=virtualDisk|write_average, depth=3})

So the depth is 3 - is this correct if I want to apply the super metric to a datacenter object?

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

In addition to that, oddly I had never even selected a vCenter object to add to the super metric.  I had only selected to add the datacenter object and compute cluster objects.  but it shows in the vCenter object only - not in any other object type.

0 Kudos
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The supermetric is configured correctly for it to apply to a datacenter object.

It's strange the SM is only applied at the vCenter object and not at the datacenter or compute cluster objects. What happens when you hit the visualize button when editing the SM and select the datacenter object?

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

When I do that it shows up for some datacenters but not for others.  However, even the ones it shows up for in the visualize pane don't work.  There is no "super metric" category in the environment -> vcenter adapter -> troubleshooting -> all metrics view when I actually go to see it.  However everything shows up at the vCenter level just fine

0 Kudos
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried changing the depth of the SM? Furthermore, I'm gonna create your SM config in my lab environment to see if this also happens in my lab.

0 Kudos
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you sure you have configured everything correctly? I have created the SM, applied it to the Datacenter and Cluster Compute Resource objects, and enabled it in the policy that is used for these objects. And I do have the SM for the datacenter and cluster objects and not for the vCenter object. This is expected behavior because the SM is only applied to the datacenter and cluster objects.

vrops_sm_cluster.JPG

vrops_sm_object.JPG

vrops_sm_policy.JPG

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

I did all that too - it's not showing up - any ideas?  appreciate any help  / input on this

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If it shows up for some datacenters and not others it sounds like there could be different policies at work.  Do some datacenters have different policies and is the super metric enabled in all of them?

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

To clarify - it isn't showing up for ANY datacenters.  It is only showing up for vCenters.  It does not show up for the datacenters within those vCenters. 

0 Kudos