VMware Cloud Community
MarcelEP
Contributor
Contributor

Super Metric - Virtual Machine's Datastore (Available Space)

Hello everyone!

I'm new on the creation of the Super Metrics on vRops, and I'm stuck on something that would be really helpfull if I get it working.

Here is what happens:

I'm trying to create a Super Metric that, when you apply it to a Virtual Machine, it gets the Available Space of its Parent Datastore.

Tried to combine some Metrics and Attributes like "${this, attribute=summary|datastore" (Virtual Machine metric) with "metric=capacity|available_space" (Datastore metric) with no success.

Can you guys lend me a hand on this?

Thanks!!

Marcel Eberlin Pereira vServer Infrastructure Admin VCP6-DCV | LPIC-1 | LPIC-2
0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

But there's already a metric available that's associated with a datastore object, so why not just use the metric that already exists?

0 Kudos
MarcelEP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov.

This is part of a view (list) I created and is also used on a report. I want it to use the Virtual Machines as the main target for the report. Today, it brings me the following informations:

Virtual Machine Name    |   Capacoty on C:\ (GB)   |   Free Space on C:\   |   Capacity on D:\ (GB)   |   Free Space on D:\ (GB)   |   Parent Datastore    |    Parent Datastore Available Space

I want to create a metric associated with Virtual Machine subject, that brings me the PARENT DATASTORE available space. I could add the Datastore subject on the view and use the "Available Space" metric, but since I'm pointing the report to Virtual Machines, when the report is done, the field "Available Space" is null.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I guess I'm failing to see why this would be valuable for you unless you either 1) don't have shared storage in this environment or 2) have VM-to-datastore affinity rules and they can therefore not be moved.

0 Kudos
MarcelEP
Contributor
Contributor

This would be valuable because I will have a clear view of which Datastore each Virtual Machine is using, and how much space are left for allocation in that Datastore, so I can see how much disk space I still can allocate. Just want to add another column in the view that shows the "Parent Datastore Allocation Space", when selecting the object "Virtual Machine".

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I understand what you're wanting, but there is already a better way to do this. If you want to report on virtual machines as well as free space, then you can add multiple views that focus on different subjects to a single report. Here I have a report that shows VM disk latencies as well as a report on datastores.

pastedImage_0.png

Both of these are list views (tables), and the OOTB Disk Space view can be cloned and customized to show free space only. When the report is generated, you'll get two tables--one for virtual machines (depending on what metrics you're showing) and the other for datastores.

0 Kudos
MarcelEP
Contributor
Contributor

I knew about this option. It is exactly what I'm avoiding to do because I want to consolidate the views and the reason I was wondering about using Super Metrics. The ideal would be if I could generate one table in the report (just the Virtual Machine's table), and apply a Super Metric in the last column, with the Datastore's Avaliable Space.

I know there is a chance of it not being possible, or taking a huge effort for a simple additiion. Just wondering, because it would really help.

I appreciate your support on the case btw.

0 Kudos