VMware Cloud Community
vishalchand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting up email handler

Hi there

Just a quick question hope someone can help me with the details required. Bit confused about setting up email handler using our exchange environment when asked for “Secure connection” and “Secure Connection Type" field. Do you know what that means?? I can't find any reference to what is required in the admin guide.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vishalchand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorted it was the file permission to emailFilter.xml

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

It looks like you are setting up an email alert handler in the custom UI - you don't need to do it there unless you are using the standalone version and/or want alerts on specific conditions.

The Secure Connection - is yes or no depending on your Exchange server (does it use SSL connections)?

The Secure Connection Type would be SSL or TLS.  Ask your Exchange admin.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
vishalchand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that is correct, I'm using emailFilter.xml to filter alerts to specific teams. I will give it a shoot and get back

Thanks

0 Kudos
vishalchand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have defined the parameters for

SMTP_HOST:10.x.x.x

SMTP_PORT:25.

Secure Connection: no

The test prompts me with an error

Missing smtp configuration parameter (smtpHost/smtpPort) !

Environment
VMware vCenter Operations Manager 5.7.0 Build 1073531 Using vCenter Operations database version 1.0.3714

Any idea what else is missing???

0 Kudos
vishalchand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorted it was the file permission to emailFilter.xml

0 Kudos
TomHaskell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello jddias,

Could you please clarify when you said " It looks like you are setting up an email alert handler in the custom UI - you don't need to do it there unless you are using the standalone version and/or want alerts on specific conditions."?

Does it mean that if we setup SMTP configuration on vcops-custom UI, and enable it, all the alerts that are generated in the customs-UI screen will automatically start to go to the emails as notifications?

But my confusion is, as there is no field for email address itself, where will the emails go?

For filtering the alerts to specific email addresses, I understood that we have to configure the emailfilter.xml file.

BR,

Tom

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

You will need to set up an email filter for the alerts to be sent.  See page 81 of the Administration Guide for the Custom UI -

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcops-57-custom-ui-admin-guide.pdf

This is different than the SMTP setup and configuration for the vSphere UI was my point.

- John

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
TomHaskell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

John, thank you. I have gone through that document and now I came with one more question.

It would be great if you can verify my understanding.

If you want to have automatic email alert notification from vcops-custom UI (given that threshold for the attributes/metrics are already configured), you will need to

1. enable SMTP on vcops-admin UI

2. configure outbound email alert setup on vcops-custom UI

3. add email addresses for speficic alerts on emailfilter.xml file

4. if you do not configure email addresses on emailfilter.xml file, the email alert does not work

Your verification would be greatly appreciated.

One more question.

I found that we have two emailfilter.xml files, one on Analytics server and the other on UI server. I need to change the emailfilter.xml file on Analytics server right?

Tom

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

You don't need to enable SMTP on the vcops-admin UI - this is for the vSphere UI notifications/alerts only.  You will need to set up an email alert handler as described on page 78.

The Analytics VM is where this is done.

- John

TomHaskell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much John.

0 Kudos