VMware Cloud Community
pauldutcher
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2.0 to ESXI issue.

Hello,

Without going into why I had to do this setup I set up SERVER 2.0 on a temporary desktop machine with XP X64 as the host OS and an Adaptec 2405 raid controller on the VM HAL. I created 2 VMs with 2008R2 X64. One machine was a DC and the other an Exchange 2010 server. I was able to get both up and running and communicating without issue. I then imported these onto a Server machine that is on the HAL along with the same raid card and drives. . The import into the datacenter went fine as well as the import of the actual machines. But when I went to power them up I received an error? I realize having the exact error is crucial but I don’t have it at the moment and will update this when I am able to retrieve it. But on the surface has anyone else had any issues doing this?

The Vim’s I am importing I created on the Server 2.0 from scratch. I was able to get them up and running fine on t he server 2 and that setup still is working fine so if there is any change I need to make I can still do that...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How did you import the VM's? Did you copy the files directly to the datastore or did you use VMware Converter, which is the way to go in your case?

André

PS: Converting a DC (and Exchange) should be done with the VM powered off!

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Importing to ESXi will require a conversion of the disks.

You can either run a cold Convert using VMware converter, or you can try importing the VMDKs to the correct format using vmkfstools - this should help:

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/01/28/importing-a-vm-from-vm-workstation-to-esx-esxi/

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
pauldutcher
Contributor
Contributor

Both VMS were turned off when i coppied. I inported the folderrs by browsing the network and pulling the folders into the datastore that way. not it appears one of the main files is corrupt so i will be starting from scratch with an experienced VM Admin over my shoulder. Thanks for help it is appreciated. I am very new at this and still learning a lot.

0 Kudos
pauldutcher
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for the help! I was under the misunderstanding that you could just plop the vms from one VM platform to the other. Again I'm not sure what will be my next step. I have a vendor that works with VMware all the time but he is very busy and i have been wanting to learn so I am trying to do it myself. I will try the conversion tools as bullet has suggested. If nothing else  than to have the experience.

0 Kudos