VMware Cloud Community
ncolyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SNMP and vCOPS (ticketing via CA Unicenter/NSM)

We are looking to integrate VCOPs into our ticketing system.

I couldn't find a great deal of documentation around this except to send SNMP traps to CA NSM which we will have rules configured to cut our tickets.

Does anyone know if i can send to multiple SNMP destinations? I also want to send to vCO for self remediation workflows we are creating.

In addition is there any way to control what gets sent, or does it just send everything and we control the rules in NSM?

Finally, what do people do when they need to do maintenance? Turn off the traps or can you stop traps being sent from specific clusters?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Some of your questions answered :

1. Plans are in the next version (5.6)you will have the option to send an SNMP trap to vCO and it can then do remediation based on the rules you have defined.

2. I would think you need to send a trap to CA NSM to do the Tickets. I have not done this before...but think that is the way for it to be done.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A: "In addition is there any way to control what gets sent, or does it just send everything and we control the rules in NSM?"

Q: You have tyo control it in your system

0 Kudos
dosmhr
Contributor
Contributor

I have not tried with CA but have tested getting VC Ops alerts to EMC Smarts.

There is an EMC SMARTS adapter which makes the whole process of getting alerts from VC Ops to smarts much easier. When testing without the adapter, i.e. through basic SNMP to Smarts, the content of the trap once presented in SMARTS didn't present enough information to decipher at a glance. Main issue was the 'varbind' of the VC Ops trap  doesn't differentiate the Resource Kind, instead its simply referred to as Resource which doesn't help within a Service Deck scenario!

0 Kudos
ncolyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback.

We've made some good progress, but also are wishing there was an option for SNMP traps to set the Resource Type as well.

We are going to be using the following for our alerting:

Faults > Critical > Priority 2 Incident Ticket

Faults > Immediate/Warning > Priority 3 Incident Ticket

Workload > Critical > Priority 3 Incident Ticket

We don't think we will cut tickets on Anomalies yet but these are things are we can still continuously use the dashboards to troubleshoot.

Any other thoughts on how to cut the tickets and at what levels?

0 Kudos