VMware Cloud Community
ChrisPD
Contributor
Contributor

Root cause of alert

Hi all

Im getting quite frustrated with how root cause is calculated for an alert, im sure im missing something, but just not sure what. I set up what I thought was a pretty basic host CPU monitor (using the custom GUI), alert if a host hits 100% CPU using a hard threshold. Ive since had a host hit 100% and got the expected Classic KPI HT Breach alert, great, that works as expected but what i was hoping is that vCOP could then tell me which VM or VMs caused the high CPU usage. I can work it out by looking at the CPU usage of the individual VMs on the host but was expecting the root cause to be the VMs, instead the symtoms in root cause of the hosts CPUs having high usage, this is not really useful. Am i missing some functionality or setup where vCOP can work out which children are causing the parent issues?

Thanks

Chris

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualizacao
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ChrisPD,

See this link, can help you with the alerts to CPU.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100349...

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.1

0 Kudos
ChrisPD
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for trying to help, but I dont need help actually fixing the CPU issue or restarting management agents. I need help in trying to get better analysis in vCOP, what i really want is to see if it can determine which VM was the root cause.

0 Kudos