VMware Cloud Community
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Reset Admin Console Admin password.

Hi folks.

One of those questions... Smiley Happy

I have vCOPs trial (Version 5.7.2, Build 1314472).

It's all been installed, and now I want to set up some SMTP reporting, so I need access to the Administration console, but I've forgotten the password.

> I have "root" access to both VMs in the vAPP.

> I can access the UI console as "admin".

> I just can't access the management console as "admin".

I can't for the life of me find a way to change the admin password for this particular console.

I can change the UI console admin using the resetadminpwd.sh command, but this doesn't appear to change the other console.

I can try to change the admin user using the passwd admin command, but this doesn't seem to apply either.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, no joy.

However, I have now resolved:

The admin passwords on the Analytics box and the UI box where not the same.

I have now changed them so they are both the same, and it's letting me in.

The basic passwd admin command on the correct box did the job.

Thanks for trying to help me out! :smileygrin:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The admin account is probably locked due to too many invalid attempts. You need to reset the # lockout attempts. See the following KB to look at this.

See the following KB to run pam_tally:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203018...

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This action will determine if the admin account is "locked", and then allow you to "unlock" it.

For me, it is not locked.... I just need to reset the password.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The login error prompt isn't specific and is a misleading sometimes. You may 'think' the password isn't valid, but the account is actually just locked and the GUI isn't saying this. If you run pam_tally on Analytics and UI VMs, you can be sure. It's something I see in the field a good bit when people try to change the admin password and starting wondering why it's not changing.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

As I said, it doesn't appear to be locked.

Determine whether the admin account is locked out

1. Log in to the console of the UI VM as root user.
  2. Run the following command twice: su admin.
    The admin account is locked if the console displays a message that reads Account locked due to XX failed login, where XXstands for the number of failed login attempts.

When I run su admin, twice, I do not get the message that reads "Account locked". Instead, I get a password prompt.

Incidentally, I can pass the password prompt with the password I know, but this password doesn't seem valid in the Management Console.

pam_tally --user admin

User admin (1000) has 0

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you restarted the vcops-admin services?

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, no joy.

However, I have now resolved:

The admin passwords on the Analytics box and the UI box where not the same.

I have now changed them so they are both the same, and it's letting me in.

The basic passwd admin command on the correct box did the job.

Thanks for trying to help me out! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The KB indicate to do the password change on both the UI and Analytics. Please be sure to read the KB completely, as those types of details can be the difference between success and no joy.

The resetadmin.sh script relies on the passwd command, however there is more to it than just "passwd". There are more places that the password needs to be changed, which is addressed with the script.

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi, the KB article didn't mention anything about changing passwords, it only mentioned about unlocking, and only talked about doing so on the UI VM.... My original question was about changing the forgotten password, bit you didn't supply a KB on that for me to follow.

The resetadmin.sh is only present on one if the VMs, so I could not run it on both.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The thread began with you using "resetadminpwd.sh". All official references to this script contain the instructions or link to the KB with them. I assumed you referred to the instructions before executing.

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware KB: Resetting the Administrator password in vCenter Operations Standard 1.0.x doesn't seem to mention going into both servers (just says "navigate to appliance console" which I maybe didn't interpret correctly... But certainly not clear). Also link in that KB for resetting root doesn't lead anywhere for me.

I had already left feedback on that KB indicating issues.

0 Kudos