VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Reporting Options

Is it possible to configure a report for waste metrics at the world level to be emailed on a regular schedule either in the Admin or Custom UI?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In the current versions (5.x) you can email only reports which you see in the Reports section of advanced-UI.

However, the so called "custom reports" are also supported in the product, though not really advertised. Basically, by editing some XML files you can add your own(custom) report in the system.

Some details on how that is done are available in the forums, do look around.

Such reports can be emailed as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The waste metric itself is a little bit ambitious other than telling you roughly how efficient your environment is. It's not something you can actually act on, as you need to look at the specific waste contributor to really see what the badge is talking about. I'd suggest running the virtual machine optimization report, which gives you powered off, idle and oversized VMs.. which is where most of the waste score will come from.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK thanks.  I think my question ties in to a bigger question - in that - if I am going to set up reports to be emailed to me automatically, am I limited to only the predefined reports that are under the "reports" section in the Advanced UI? Or can I do something in either the Advanced UI or the Custom UI to make vCOps email out a report that is not part of the predefined reports in the Advanced UI under the "Reports" tab?

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In the current versions (5.x) you can email only reports which you see in the Reports section of advanced-UI.

However, the so called "custom reports" are also supported in the product, though not really advertised. Basically, by editing some XML files you can add your own(custom) report in the system.

Some details on how that is done are available in the forums, do look around.

Such reports can be emailed as well.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK great thanks

0 Kudos