VMware Cloud Community
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Report for Number of VMs Created Last Month

Greetings All!  Management is asking for a monthly report that shows number of VMs created for the previous month.  I see some default VM Growth Trend reports but that doesn't quite seem to do it.  They really just want the one number, not any forecasting info.

To be clear, we're looking for a way to provide this report from vRealize Operations Manager.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: OsburnM

0 Kudos
6 Replies
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Under "Administration" and "Object Explorer" you can enable "Recently added objects" for 1,7 and 30 days. You'll see that it will populate all objects added in those time frames.  Then you can filter them down by "Virtual Machine". I have not found a way to export or put these in a report. I can't find an object type under the subject of "Virtual Machine". Can someone else point is in the right direction to produce the "Recently added objects" in a report.

0 Kudos
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is the same anwser I gave in this thread Re: Date of creation of a VM metric

I cant think of a way this is possible with vRops alone - The events are not carried over from vCenter. With Log Insight it would be possible or maybe some modifications of Eventlist.txt on the appliance, which could give you the events in vRops, but haven't played with it my self.

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Interesting. As it turns out, we do have loginsight also running in our environment and just connected it to vrops. Where might you suggest I start with that?

0 Kudos
wpskern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same wish to create a report with VM's that have been created and deleted during the last month.

I use VMTurbo now to do this but I want to migrate all reports to vROPs.

If you have a solution I would like to know!

0 Kudos
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

So if you look at the "VMware - vSphere" content pack and "General - Inventory", you can see that Log Insight has two widget which counts create and delete events.So Log Insight has data!

LI-VMs-Create-Delete.png

You can natively get Log Insight to send alerts to vRops - But that would show up as alerts in vRops which is hardly useful. Log Insight has an API and vRops has an API, so it could be used, but you would have to maintain some form of code and execution, which is not to be desired. 

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Click on the VMs Created dashboard (in Log Insight) and then on the magnifying glass to go to Interactive Analytics.   This will show the query.    Change the time and to month and you are set.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos