VMware Cloud Community
iam_exio
Contributor
Contributor

Report Creation - Get VM parent host metrics

Hello,

I want to create a report to show maximum VM usage metrics and Physical available resources.

Example:

table 1

VM NameVM CPU Usage MHzParent Host Available CPU MHzParent Host Available CPU %VM Memory Usage GBParent Host Available Memory GBParent Host Available Memory %

table 2

VM NameVM Network usagePhysical Available Network bandwidthVM IOPsPhysical Available IOPs

I already have contention,ready and latency reports.

I'm trying to use supermetrics for this, but i'm still researching.

Has anyone created something like this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I am understanding your request, you can just create a view with those metrics by using the Usage (MHz) metric for VM CPU and Memory because those metrics are just sitting there for you to use.

--
*** If you like my response, please click "Like" below, if you think I answered your question to the best of my abilities, please mark post as Correct Answer ***

3x vROps Environments implemented across my organization. VDI vROPs 8.4 ::: Epic vROPs 8.4 ::: Shared vROPs 7.0
vROPs Adapters in use: EpicCare & Horizon View Adapter 2.1
0 Kudos
marinthal
Contributor
Contributor

Create a view using the suggested metric(s) and change the transformation to Maximum.

maximum.JPG

0 Kudos
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Maybe you can do it with something like this as a super metric: avg(${adaptertype=VMWARE, objecttype=HostSystem,attribute=cpu|capacity_usagepct_average, depth=-1})

This displays the cpu capacity usage (%) metric of the parent host of the vm.

You will need to apply the metric on the virtual machine object and of course enable it in a policy applied to the vm's.

0 Kudos
iam_exio
Contributor
Contributor

Created 2 supermetrics:

Parent Host % Memory Remaining

100-max(${adaptertype=VMWARE, objecttype=HostSystem, attribute=mem|usage_average, depth=-1})

Parent Host % CPU Remaining

100-max(${adaptertype=VMWARE, objecttype=HostSystem, attribute=cpu|usage_average, depth=-1})

I tried using Capacity remaining %, but it seems the metric is a rollup or something.

And yes Depth -1 is the trick!

Now i just need something for Network and Storage...

0 Kudos