VMware Cloud Community
naterunge
Contributor
Contributor

Relationships Adapter in vcops 5 vApp

I would like to configure a relationship between our NetApp SAN and the vCenter adapters. I have the latest NetApp, vCenter and Relationship adapters installed. I have verified that both the vCenter and NetApp adapters are gathering data.

I am getting stuck where the documentation asks the following:

"If your instance of vCenter Operations Manager Enterprise uses Oracle or PostgreSQL database, copy the
VMwareNetAppRelationship_oracle.sql file to the
%vcenter-operations%\user\plugins\inbound\relationship_adapter3\conf folder."

I am runnign the vApp version and am unable to locate both the .sql file and the destination location to place it in.

The release notes for the adapters look to have been updated last month and specifically mention adding .PAK files in order to be functional with the vApp.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As with most of the vCops documentation the quote you have there is in reference to the stand alone install of vCops which uses either an Oracle of SQL server back end so it may not be applicatible to the vApp install (check with support or maybe someone else on the forum knows for sure).

Chapters 2 and 10 of the vCops Admin Guide may also help you. I would verify with support first but .pak files can be added through the update tab of the admin portal. Before applying any patches, hotfixes, or updates be sure and take snapshots of your vApp. Keep in mind if you have thin provsioned the vAPP taking a snapshot will mark it is thick until you delete or revert so make sure you have the space.

Hope that helps some. Good luck!

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
naterunge
Contributor
Contributor

The admin guide was not helpful in this case becuase it is too global. Adapters in general I have no problems with. Specifically configuring the Relationship Adapter is the problem.

Becuase I know nothing about the underlying database on the vApp I can't run the .SQL file to modify the database and I cannot provide the adapter with the appropriate credentials in the UI.

You can tell from the adapter release notes that the dev's are updating the packages to support the vApp. I am sure that this is just a matter of the documentation catching up with the vApp adapters.

This isn't a deal breaker and I'm sure that it is only a matter of time before documentation surfaces that shows how to configure these adapters for the vApp.

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the document is very general. I would sugest then reviewing the adapter specific documentation, contacting the vendor or VMware support to help you walk through the process.

Good luck!

naterunge
Contributor
Contributor

Once we buy the product contacting support is most likely what I will do. The main reason that I wanted to form this relationsh was becuase I thought it was necessary to see my NFS based datastores.

It turns out that is a completely separate issue however so now visibility into my NetApp is really just icing on the cake.

If I do find a solution with the vApp I will post it here.

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cool! Keep us updated.

Just curious what version of vCenter you are running? I know there are certain datastore metrics that we can not see because we are running vCenter 4.0 Update 3 *sigh*. 

0 Kudos
naterunge
Contributor
Contributor

5.0 U1

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The SQL samples are under the user/plugins/inbound/netapp_adapter3/doc.

Since the intergration was initially targeting standalone installations we only have samples for oracle and mssql, however, the oracle version should run ok on postgres. Besides, you'll need to have credentials for the database in order to configure the relationships adapter instance.

To configure copy the oracle sample into user/plugins/nbound/relationship_adapter3/conf directory and rename it to VMwareNetAppRelationship_pg.sql.

Then configure a Relationship adapter instance using custom UI and provide VMwareNetAppRelationship_pg.sql as file sql name.

The rest should follow, assuming the DataStrorePath and PathString identifiers are populated correctly.

0 Kudos
RSharma20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am also using vcops 5 vApp and the latest Netapp adapter with Netapp Ops Manager 4.0.2. I was able to install the adapter to the VCOPS, and created the adapter instance, created the right credentials , but when i test the collection from VMware Operations manager , it fails.

And its showing as resource " Netapp Ops Manager " as down. Any suggestions, where to look. Thanks Raj

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You are probably hitting permission issues. Those errors should be available in the collector.log.

I'm attaching a doc describing the steps you need to take to make it work.

Perhaps you are only missing the step 6f.

Please try and lem me post the result.

0 Kudos
RSharma20111014
Contributor
Contributor

I was on a call with VMware, they think it might be a port issue, as VCOPS needs port 8088 and our Netapp DFM is listening on 8080. Any suggestions where we can change the default port.

Thanks for your reply, I will check your instructions too.

Thanks

Raj

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
RSharma20111014
Contributor
Contributor

it appears that vCops wants to talk to DFM Core on the HTTP port but HTTP was disabled in favor of using SSL. So the question is if we can force vCops to leverage SSL and connect to the DFM Performance Advisor API on 8488 (which is the SSL port)

0 Kudos
RSharma20111014
Contributor
Contributor

We were able to resolve the issue…..this is what we did

Steps

1. In Operations Manager, select Control Center > Setup > Options > Performance Advisor to

display the Performance Advisor options.

Select among the following options to accept or modify the settings as appropriate to your

environment:

• Server HTTP Port—Sets the port used by the performance-monitoring server to receive HTTP

connections from the application. The default value is 8088.

• Server HTTP Enabled—Enables or disables HTTP as a transport protocol used by the

application. The default value is Yes.

• Server HTTPS Port—Sets the port used by the performance-monitoring server to receive

HTTPS connections from the application. The default value is 8488.

• Server HTTPS Enabled—Enables or disables HTTP as a transport protocol used by the

application. The default value is Yes.

3. Click Update.

Restart the dfm services

0 Kudos
salwinsys
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I have got the latest netapp adapter and relationship package deployed on vCOPS 5.0.2 vapp. I can see all the objects from Netapp and also the relationship link, however I can't capture any data from netapp such as attributes for volume avg latency, nfs latency etc...says "no data is available" The http port for DFM by defult is set to 8080, is this the root cause?

I can see from DFM console the data matrix for nfs latency but not from vCOPS.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you can see metrics (like latency) in DFM server's Operations Manager UI, I do not see any reason why you should not see them through VC Ops. How long are you running the data collection? Which build are you using?

If you could also send me the log files, I can try to debug this.

Just to make sure if I understand it correctly, I assume you are using "Environment" -> "Environment Overview" -> "Resource Detail" page.

Also, on that page, can you try to select larger time window (say 1 day or 7 days) and let me know if it has any effect?

0 Kudos
salwinsys
Contributor
Contributor

We are running the adapter for over two weeks. I can see the health status only for capacity and vcenter operations generated from the metric selector but doesnt show or list Netapp metric at all. I do have the support bundle, where do you want me to send this file?

Thanks for quick response.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can email it to me at dnilesh@vmware.com or vcops-adapters@vmware.com

0 Kudos