VMware Cloud Community
ynguldyn
Contributor
Contributor

Read this if you can't connect to VCOps or see it stuck on initialization

This is something that I posted in the initial announcement thread. I suspect it's not the most obvious place to look for answers to problems, since some new threads seem to be about the same issue(s). So, here goes.

The appliance seems to be very particular about DNS in the  environment where it runs. Anything short of perfection may cause one or both of the problems below.

Problem 1: You install the appliance, but can't connect to it. The browser returns "connection reset" or "unreachable" (depends on the browser). If you used another client system, and it worked, and you connected the appliance to your VCenter, the original system's VCenter Client still shows that the plugin is disabled due to connection error. Network dump shows that the TCP handshake succeeds, but the appliance resets the connection after the first HTTPS packet.

Cause: The appliance is configured using default SUSE security settings, which include "ALL : KNOWN" line in /etc/hosts.allow. This line dictates that the client IP must be reverse resolvable to a name and then back from the name to the same IP. If your environment doesn't have reverse DNS that matches exactly with direct DNS, the check may fail, and the server will close the connection.

Resolution: Use the console to connect to the command line (login as "root" / "admin"), and change the above line to "ALL : ALL". You need to know how to use vi.

Problem 2: You have connected to the appliance, the plug-in works, but the appliance screen is stuck on initialization.

Cause: The appliance can't resolve its own name.

Resolution: If you use DHCP for the appliance: use the admin web page to disconnect the appliance from VCenter, give  the appliance a static IP, create an A record for it in your DNS  system, reboot, reconnect to VCenter. If you gave the appliance a static IP: make sure the hostname you specified is resolvable to the same IP.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

thanks for sharing 😃

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

Hey, thanks, you just solved the issue I was having!

0 Kudos
Thijs201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that was the solution I was looking for!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

bump

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

would be cool if the forum has a sticky function which would put this thread on the top.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Great idea. I promoted this thread to featured discussion so it stays on top.

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert

Good information. Thanks for sharing.

Regards/Saludos

Por favor no olvides calificar las respuestas que te resultaron de ayuda o fueron correctas

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

VMware vExpert 2010 - VCP 410- VCP 310 - VAC - VTSP

My company Blog (Wetcom Group Blog)

Follow me on Twitter

My Linkedin Profile

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the great write-up, ynguldyn! We've created two Knowledge Base articles based on this:

1. Unable to connect to vCenter Operations appliance (2000208)
2. vCenter Operations plugin is stuck on initialization (2001998)

Please let me know -- or just submit feedback on the articles -- if you have any questions.

Stephen Gardner

Technical Writer

VMware Inc.

0 Kudos
Netbat
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is a great post.  Using consumer based broadband Internet I am offered only one public IP address.  Port forwarding is critical for secure external connectivity to my lab.  The fix worked instanly.  thank you.

0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Great information. Thank you for the post!

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos