VMware Cloud Community
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: metric Needed

Hello Guys,

In the Super metric package editor, (formula section) i need a metric for the Cluster Which tells about the available vCPU for the future deployments. I need the vCPU in Mhz. Similary looking for the metric which shows the avaible virtual memory in MB. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
22 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at using : Metric CPU Usage -> [Total Capacity (MHZ) - Usage (Mhz)] = New Metric called Availible Mhz

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry U said vCPU - Thus maybe take the Above formula and divide by Summary -> Avg Provisioned Capacity (MHZ) per running VM.

Something like that shoudl get you to an avg vCPU count. Just understand that this will vary a lot depending on workload during the day.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Hugo,

I applied the formula below

((Cluster Compute Resource: CPU Usage|Total Capacity (MHz)-Cluster Compute Resource: CPU Usage|Usage (MHz))/Cluster Compute Resource: Summary|Average Provisioned Capacity (MHz) per Running VM)

It is throwing the error --> Cannot convert  number array to number.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You need to put an avg or topn function infront of each metric. The metric's is returing all the values and thus it is seen as an array of data. You are only interested in an avg or top value and thus you still need to convert the metric to a single value.

Makes sence ?

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Hugo,

ya it makes sense. Lets forget about the vCpu. I applied this formula for the physical cpu calculation and i multiplied  the avaialble physical cpu by 5 which means that i am allowing the physical cpu to vcpu as 1:5 ratio. now dividing the available vcpu by Compute Resource:Summary|Average Provisioned Capacity (MHz) per Running VM)).

See the below complete formula.

max(avg(Cluster Compute Resource: CPU Usage|Total Capacity (MHz))-avg(Cluster Compute Resource: CPU Usage|Usage (MHz))*5/avg(Cluster Compute Resource:Summary|Average Provisioned Capacity (MHz) per Running VM))

It didnt throwed any error but want to confirm if it works or not??

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi !

When you state "work" do you mean the logic of the formula ? Or the Maths around the Formula ?

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ya Hugo,

I mean is the logic working right with those many avg and Max value in the begining.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Hugo,

can you please check and confirm me on the formula. Thanks Hugo

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You will to try and see if it works 🙂

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hugo,

Intresting thing is all the supermetrics that i have created are showing up when i try to apply in the generic scoreboard except the supermetric that i created usinf the above formula. usually we have to wait for 5 mins but it in this case it is not showin in the package when we select the cluster by using settings of the generic scorebaord. Are there any limitation on the supermetrics in the super metrics package.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I dont mean to hijack an existing thread but this is another metric related question

I have a metric called Folder: Datastore|Disk|Total Usage Rate(KBps), ideally I want to see this valus in MBps. Can I use a supermetric to convert this this to MB/sec?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes you can create a super metric to /1024 to get to a MB value.

Hugo

Send from BlackBerry

0 Kudos
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, figured it would be that easy.

This is what I have right now thats not working

count($RK22:A2838)/1024

count(Folder: Datastore|Disk|Total Usage Rate(KBps))/1024

0 Kudos
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone have any thoughts on why this SuperMetric isn't working?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do you get an error ?

0 Kudos
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No error

The metric creates with the following values

count($RK22:A2838)/1024count(Folder: Datastore|Disk|Total Usage Rate(KBps))/1024

Everything saves correctly,

I attached it to the Folder object for my Storage group.

No metrics collect.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Chase,

After adding the Super metric to the Super metrics package are you able to see it the super metrics listed out when you select your attribute in the Generic Score board seetings to get the value??? Bcoz whwn i add the super metric in to the super metric package i am unable see that metric in the Generic scoreboard settings to apply to the specified object.

My Metrics formula formula aslo saves with out any error but i wont show up in generic score board to apply??

Are you facing any problems of this kind??

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't actually attached mine to a scoreboard yet. I just go to Environments and search for that object and look at the supermetric from there.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello chase,

Without attaching to the generic dashboard how are you able to find that it is not collecting any metrics. Is there anyway to do that??

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos