VMware Cloud Community
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Metrics Collection

Hello Guys,

I have few questions regarding metrics. When we run an audit report in the admin of the custom dashboards it lists out all the

adapters ,

metrics configured,

metrics collected,

Application Count,

Virtual environment(Existing resources) in pdf or Html formats.

I am observing that the numbers shown at Metrics Configured and Metrics Collected are different.

Eg: It is showing the metrics configured as 2000 abd the metrics colected as 1500. Is that something OK or the metrics configured should match metrics collected.?

where can we see how the metrics are collected?

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Hovhannes
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

It is possible to have the same value for Metrics Configured and Metrics Collected, but this is also a normal behaviour.

Value of Metrics Configured is a number of attributes for which at least one data point was obtained during data collection, while Metrics Collected shows number of metrics that are collecting data for at the moment. Note that in both cases system attributes are excluded from calculation.

So if you'll edit attribute package and disable an attribute for which you get data, value of Metrics Collected will decrease, while value of Metrics Configured will be the same.

Regards,

Hovhannes

vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Hovhannes,

Thanks for your reply. I got the point.

Note that in both cases system attributes are excluded from calculation.

I want to know what are these system attributes?

Also while we r registering the vcenter in vcops it says the collector account is optional. If we wont provide the collector account will admin account (Registeration account) collects the metrics form vcenter.

I have a situation where i have the collecter account assigned while registering the vcenter and the privileges of that collector account in vcenter is read-only and there ar no storage view rights assigned. Where as vmware says collector account needs the following privileges.

• The privileges required to collect data from       vCenter Server are System.Read and StorageViews.View. A role containing these privileges should be assigned to the       collection user account at the vCenter Server level.

Now i found a difference of 2000 metrics between metrics configured and metrics collected. Is this something due to incorrect privileges for the collector account. If so then what does vmware mean about the collector account is optional?

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
Hovhannes
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

"I want to know what are these system attributes?"

System attributes are the ones from vCenter Operations Generated group.

Collector user is optional and if the system collects data I don't think that the difference of 2000 metrics is caused by that. Maybe there is an issue with data collection itself.

Regards,

Hovhannes

0 Kudos