VMware Cloud Community
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Does vCenter Upgrade effects vC Ops

Hello Guys,

I have a situation where i have to upgrade my vcenter where the downtime whould be about 6 hrs. My question is What happens to vC Ops when my vcenter is not available for long time. What about the collection of metrics? Also in the admin page obviosly the connection status shows as diconnected.So i have to update the page again?

Any Steps to be taken from vC Ops end wjile the vcenter upgrade is going on?

Does  vC Ops keeps the account username /password that is used to register the vcenter keeps in the Cache?

Thanks

VK

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You can create a Maintenance Schedule (in the Custom UI -> Environment -> Maintenance Schedules. The attached the Maintenance Schedule to the vCenter Adaptor Instance.

For the vSphere UI...I could only find this :

"Outlier Detection and Smoothing Filters in vCenter Operations Manager

vCenter Operations Manager provides data filtering techniques to address outliers and temporary fluctuations in data points. Outlier detection and smoothing remove anomalies or sudden changes in patterns during Maintenance or other cycles that might mislead the trend and forecast calculations.

When you apply smoothing, vCenter Operations Manager applies a smoothing function to data points and calculates the trend using the smooth data set. The value of a data point in a graph is affected by the value of the preceding data points. vCenter Operations Manager assigns a weight or priority to each data point and that weight determines the contribution of the data point to a smoothed value.

Activating different combinations of outlier detection and smoothing generates different results."

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Hugo,

Thanks for the Info, So this outling detection and soothing filter are data filtering techniques provided by vC Ops automatically or we have to configure anything in the vSphere UI.

Activating different combinations of outlier detection and smoothing generates different results -- I didnt get this point quiet enough. Please let me know any info u have.

Thanks for your help.appreciated

Does the vC Ops keeps the Registration User/password used to add vcenter in cache?

Are there any steps i have to take in vC Ops before shutting down the vcenter?

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I just added that there so that u know how we handle the data collections if the vCenter is down and thus we cannot collect data.

It should keep the User/pass...make sure you keep the SSL cert the same also. Else you would need to re-register the vCenter Server.

I dont believe there is anything.

My advice as always is to log a call with VMware support and run this pass them. Always good to get their advise also.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the vcenter is down and vC Ops can't collect the data which is fine. Does vC Ops tries to connect to ESX host and collect data? I dont think this can be done bcoz vC ops only pulls the metrics form vCenter. Am i right?

I have faced a problem with this USER?Password bcoz of vcops keeping that in cache. We have registered the vcenter using an account where we changed the password of that account after a month. When i checked the windows security logs in vCenter server it shows that user failed to authenticate to connect to vC Ops after changing the password . Using that User account we can login to other servers after the password change. so there is no problem with AD Replication. Is this something faced by anybody

Thanks Hugo,

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Adaptor uses the  vCenter as a Proxy to get to the ESX host...so you are correct...no stats will be colelcted.

Regarding the password issue. When you change the password you aslo have to change the password for your vCenter Adaptor. This is done in the admin UI [https://ui-vm-ip/admin].

0 Kudos