VMware Cloud Community
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Provisioned space on datastore

Hi all,

there's a way to see under custom dashboards the provisioned space of a datastore? The metric Provisioned Space (GB) in vCOPS always indicate the same value of Capacity.

Thank you very much.

Matrix

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Total allocated space that the virtual machine can commit up to. Includes vmdk, swap, snapshot, and other virtual machine files such as NVRAM, configuration files, and logs. This metric includes uncommitted space.

I think this will always stay the same unless you increase the capacity of the datastore.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you, but I think I asked the question incorrectly. My problem is knowing the datastore space provisioned on which there are disks in thin provisioning. The metric says me always the capacity value.

Many thanks

Matrix

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Provisioned is what is technically provisioned, however I think you're looking for Virtual Disk Used or Virtual Machine Used. Virtual Disk Used being VMDKs, Virtual Machine Used being all that abhilash listed.

If you've got a VM provisioned at 100GB thin, with 10GB actually consumed, Provisioned space will be 100GB, virtual disk used will be 10GB, and virtual machine used will be 10GB + VM mem swap, etc.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mark,

thank you for your answer. But I would like to see the provisioned space at datastore level. For example: if I have a datastore (100GB) and 2 VM with two disks of 100GB thin provisioned, I would like to "extract" from that datastore the 200GB provisioned space value.

With your helpful answer I see the provisioned space at VM level, but not at datastore level.

Thank you very much.

Matrix

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you view all metrics of a datastore, see Capacity > Provisioned Space. This will show you provisioned space per-datastore.

If you view all metrics of a datastore, see Capacity > Used Space. This will show you used space per-datastore.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi MArk,

thank you for your suggestion. I'll try...

Matrix

0 Kudos