5harky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Project Planning in vRealize - CPU Demand seems to be off

Hello,

I've been playing around with the 'Project' feature in vRealize, but either I'm not getting it, or it is displaying wrong numbers. The environment is running just fine but still, if I open the Project feature for the cluster, it shows me CPU consistent (100%-500%) red demand bar (shortfall). Why? What am I missing? If I create a new project "planned" or "committed", it won't switch to green unless I add 102 additional hosts. And that just can't be right. We currently have 16 hosts and no CPU problem at all.

What am I missing? Is vRealize configured wrong?

Also, vRO displays numbers that can't be right in the 'Capacity Remaining' section of the cluster and hosts too (on the host level it recommends to add 56 more cores per host Oo). I believe it's because vRealize does not, or is not configured , to take into account the over commitment ratio of pcpu/vcpu. I have been clicking my way through vRO but could not find where to set the overcomittment ratio.

I'm still fairly new to vRO, so any advise appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Any capacity-based visualizations or reports in vR Ops require the policies to be configured to accurately reflect the utilization of an organization's environment. Until the policies are accurately adjusted, projects won't be applying scenarios to an accurate baseline and trend. Buffers, capacity model, over-commit, etc will all make the difference between an accurate capacity analysis and an inaccurate one.

So the big question - have you configured your policies yet?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
5harky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm just starting to get a better understanding of how policies work. One item, for example which I can't figure out is, where do I define HA percentage? I have admission control disabled but vRealize adds 20% HA capacity which is too much in for our environment. I would like to change that value but for the life of me I can't find where I change the value. The documentation says vRealize automatically takes whatever is set in admission control...well...we have admission control disabled.

That is just one example.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

The policies are everything.  Using the default policy is useless and is basically nothing more than an example (or at least that's how I look at it).  I do all of my policies based on host count of the cluster.

This is an easy two step attack ...  Set up dynamic groups so that they automatically add hosts based on the count of active hosts.  Also set up policies that are based on host count.  (10% buffer in a 10 node cluster, 20% buffer in a 5 node cluster, or whatever). 

Setting up a dynamic group based on host count in a cluster.

vROps_DynamicGroups.jpg

You can adjust buffers from here by clicking All Object Types to the left, then expanding Cluster Compute Resource, and going down to Usable Capacity.  Enable this, and click the arrow to expand the Usable Capacity field to make your adjustments, and add buffer, overallocation percents, etc.

vROps_Buffer.jpg

When you are done, regardless of which you do first, make sure your dynamic group is then tied to the proper policy.

As a tip, what I did was created a baseline from scratch that I called Node Count Based Policies.  I totally configured everything I cared about.  Then from that, create policies based on every node count from 2 up to as high as you feel it is necessary to go (although not beyond 64).  The only things that will really change in each one are the buffers.  This makes it very easy to have so many polciies.  The beauty is that each time you add a host, remove a host, or even place one in MM, the policy for a particular cluster automatically changes because the dynamic group it is a member of automatically changes.

vROps_Policy01.jpg

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
5harky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks all for the input. I have made good progress with conciguring vRealize.

I did notice two strange behaviours though:

1. I get an alert "Not receiving data from the Broker Agent" but then when I log into the connection server, and open the Broker Configuration Utility, all tests are successful, including pairing.

2. I get tons of "Not receiving data from the Desktop Agent" alerts, but then when I go to remote session details of any of those virtual machines, I can successfully run the "get process" action. So how can it not receive and data from the desktop agent, but at the same time be able to lookup running processes?

Also when I switch to the 'View Infrastructure" dashboard..I only get "No Data Available". So I suppose there is still something not configured properly...thinking firewall maybe?

I was not the one who initially installed and configured vRealize, which makes it a bit harder to troubleshoot ...

Again, any help how to resolve this and where to look for the problem, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

There is a separate vRealize Operations for Horizon (or View).  I think there are licensing differences.  I'm not very familiar with the Horizon version.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
5harky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct. We are running and licensed for vRealize for View.

0 Kudos