VMware Cloud Community
rahus111
Contributor
Contributor

Process or service level information

HI,

Using vROps 7.5 version needs to get the high utilized memory and CPU process information.

for example, if 1 vm with Linux or Windows OS utilizes more than 95% Memory usage how we can analyze that which process is consuming more Memory.

same example with CPU metric as well.

Rahul

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
sennevanlaer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vrops does not collect service or process metrics unless specificly configured.

My recommendation would be to use in OS tools to do process level troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi , 

In vROPS you need to have  Telegraf agent installed on the VMs to monitor the applications within the guest os . 

Please check the blog to know more :  https://blogs.vmware.com/management/2019/04/whats-new-in-vrealize-operations-7-5-a-technical-overvie...

Thanks 

Pramod Ashnal 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Solution Provided" "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
sennevanlaer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@pashnal that's not entirely correct. you can also do some service/process monitoring by defining sdmp services. I agree this has important limitations, but if it works for your scenario it yields better results with less configuration and less management effort!

0 Kudos
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@sennevanlaer   Agreed , But the question was to monitor which server is consuming how much of cpu and memory resources . 

I know the vROPS can do service level monitoring and that monitoring only checks the liveliness of the service and reports if that service is down but it cannot identify the amount of memory or CPU it has consumed  . If we have to know the resource consumption and other granular details then we will have to have an agent installed on the VM  like telegraph agent . 

Thanks . 

Pramod Ashnal 

0 Kudos
sennevanlaer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@pashnal  fyi: a screenhot of performance metrics as offered by 'service discovery' SDMP service:

sennevanlaer_0-1651760003642.png

I agree telegraph is more powerfull, but the default metrics are not better. If service discovery works for the specific process (preferably it has fixed listening port) it is easier for same result.

0 Kudos