VMware Cloud Community
PedroPires
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with vROPS badges

Hey guys, nice to meet you, it's my first post.

I installed vROPS 6.0.2 in my environment, about 5 days ago. Configured the vCenter Adapter properly (both vcenter and vcenter phyton). It generated some alerts but, very few.

The main issue is this: it shows the major badges with perfect scores. Health: 100, Risk: 0, Efficiency: 100 (quite impossible to happen in the real world). A couple of alerts in health but nothing in risk or efficiency.

I know vROPS needs some time to "learn" how you environment works but this is not the first time I deal with this issue. Installed in a client few months ago.. and the problem is the same, the badges are perfect even after a couple of months installed.

Hope you guys and girls can help me with this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vR Ops v6.x doesn't let anomalies/DTs freak out the Health badge like it did with v5.x. By default it'll look at workload, anom, faults and calc those sub badges, but the primary HEALTH badge on an object is going to mainly get impacted by Alerts with an impact of HEALTH. So, you're kinda waiting for something that won't happen if you're waiting for anomalies to aggressively impact the health badge and an alert doesn't exist for it. Check out the alerts with impact of "Health" on the object you're looking at, then you'll know exactly what will impact health. if the alerts aren't there or firing, health will hang at 100 until that changes.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
PedroPires
Contributor
Contributor

Still, it's a bit weird that I have no alerts whatsoever on risk and efficiency, and that the major badges are all perfect.

I don't expect major impact on the scores but, at least some change of any kind.

0 Kudos
PedroPires
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone help? Anyone who is using/used vrops successfully? Tell me what you did beside configuring the vCenter Adapter please.

0 Kudos
PhillyDubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The out of the box settings for looking at things such as stress and capacity need tweaking. I typically modify my policies to reflect the actual hours of the day I have workloads running(why would I report when I know my servers are all idle?) and to make the idea of stress slightly more or less aggressive depending on what application group I'm working with.

There's also quite a bit of bugs in v6 that hopefully get fixed soon. 6.0 was completely broken for me and then I updated to 6.1 which was still broken slightly less. I had to wipe out my entire install and start all over on a fresh 6.1 install but even that is having issues with acknowledged(by VMware) bugs.

VCP5
0 Kudos
twoton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It sounds like this may be what you are looking for:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=211396...

I am kind of in the same boat.  I like the new way it calculates the health and risk badges, but I don't like how it says that my efficiency is great despite having an incredibly large number of oversized VM's and waste in general.  I'm not sure I want it to display efficiency exactly as it did in 5.5, but I figure this will be a good place to start and go from there. 

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What were the object types you have in focus when the risk and efficiency showed perfect green scores? Clusters? Custom Groups?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos