VMware Cloud Community
fartman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Possible to enable link aggregration

Hi would like to know if link aggregration is possible on vswitch currently i have a vswitch connected to 2 seperate physical switch serving the same network traffic it is corrently configured as fail-over mode in vswitch how can i configure this vswitch to perform link aggregration mode instead of fail-over mode to achieve higher band-width or is such configuration possible does dvswitch support such config as well?

Thanks for any info

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check if this kb help http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100193...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't think vSwitch and do linkagg.

I think you can assign 2 physical NIC to the vSwitch and then on the 2 NICs connected to an external switch configure the 2 ports to be a member of a linkagg port?   Some networking gear vendor can have the linkagg on 2 physical switches.  Some vendor call this Multi-Chassis linkagg or MCLAG.

Of course there are other options you can play around with load balancing.

fartman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thks for the info if i configure vswitch to have 2 active nic does it consider as link aggregation even-though it is configured as load-balancing?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check if this kb help http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100193...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In addition to the link Mauro provided, take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004048 for a sample EtherChannel configuration.

If you need LACP, you need to license Enterprise Plus with the NEXUS 1000V add-on.

André

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To take advantage of LACP on your physical switch stack you will have to configure the VIrtual Switch Load Balancing to IP Hash -

Also be aware how to IP Hash Load balancing works requires a 1 to many communication - in other words load balancing within vSphere is not really not load balancing but load distribution - with the IP Hash each outbound packet is examined and the outbound NIC from the ESXi host is selected based on the source and destination IP address - so if you have a VM that is only communicating to a single destination machine all of its traffic will only leave by a single NIC -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos