VMware Cloud Community
TCLiven
Contributor
Contributor

Overlicensed - vCenter Operations Mgr 5

Hi All -

I am trying to figure out what is going on with my vCOPS environment.  Brand new 5 environment, it auto-discovered all the VM's and of course came back as overlicensed since we only have 50 vCOPS licenses for 113 VM's.  I followed the instructions on giving a specific collector user read only perms to the VM's I want monitored via vCOPS and on the first go worked like a charm.  Then added the collector user to a couple more VM's (still way under my 50 limit) and vCOPS would not see the additional VM's, I restarted the vCOPS app and now I cannot see any VM's with using my collector user and logs say that I am overlicensed.   If I place my vCenter registration user as the collector, I get all the VM's again.. Ergh.. Any ideas on what I may be missing??  The vSphere license shows I am at -63... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TCLiven
Contributor
Contributor

So I completely unregistered my vcenter server from vCOPS and then re-registered it.  The license now shows 0/50 assigned.  vCOPS seems to be 'updating' right now and will check in a few to see if that did the trick.  I will repost with results.

0 Kudos
TCLiven
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley Sad nope didn't work..  Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
TCLiven
Contributor
Contributor

it has to have something to do with the permissions in vCenter.  If I give read only rights to the collector user at a higher level, cluster or datacenter, the user now sees all the VM's again (even the ones that I do not want monitored - which makes sense).  Is there something I must do at the higher level to allow access to only the VM's that I want monitored?

0 Kudos
TCLiven
Contributor
Contributor

alright.. it's ugly but figured a work around...

1) Give collector user read only access to the DC or cluster, UNCHECK propagate option.

2) Give each VM either read only access to the collector user or no access to the collector user.

3) Go back to the DC or cluster and CHECK propagate option on the collector user

4) Restart vCOPS via the UI console application controls in the status tab

Since we only use one cluster this was the only way I could figure out how to do it but it someone is able to move the VM's he or she would like monitored into one specific 'monitored' cluster, this process would be much less ugly by giving the collector user read only access to just the monitored cluster.

0 Kudos
TCLiven
Contributor
Contributor

my last comment was a work around for the issue

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are in the same boat. Here is a nice KB article on the subject:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1036195&sl...

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
0 Kudos