VMware Cloud Community
sutcliff
Contributor
Contributor

Operations Manager - what Do I Need

I have about 60 Esxi hosts all running version 5.5. I have two vcenters and use Site Recovery Manager to replicate.

I want to get Operations manager, but when I look on the VMware sales site it keeps pushing me to VSphere with operations manager. Since I already have a lot of vSphere licenses I don't think I need to re buy vSphere. I just want to add operations manager.

So what do I need to buy? Is it one price for Operations Manager and a per VM license like SRM? Can I use my same SQL DB server?

Sorry if this is a basic question.

Brian Sutcliffe

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you already own vSphere, there are promo's and SKUs for upgrading you to vSphere with SOM, which is vC Ops STD. However, that may not be a good choice for you if you'd already in-flight on a license or want a higher tier vC Ops edition. If you want vC Ops Adv or Ent, you'd need to buy a vCloud Suite or the vC Ops Suite (vROps). If you own vCloud Suite, you get entitled to vC Ops in one form or another depending on the level of vCloud Suite you own.

Hit this link for the vC Ops Suite:

vRealize Operations Intelligent Operations Management: VMware | United States

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
sutcliff
Contributor
Contributor

Would this work if I wanted to do 25 VMS?

VMware vRealize Suite Advanced - ( v. 6 ) - license - 25 OS instances - hosted
VMware - Part#: VR-CMP-ADV-C

Thanks,

Brian Sutcliffe

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not familiar with the specific SKU, but the desc looks right. Bare in mind the problems you'll encounter if you license subsets of VMs in a cluster. I just answered another post about this a day or two ago..

Advanced will give you the basics and custom dashboards, however if you want to use 3rd party adapter or use Hyperic to monitor apps and not just OSs you'd need Enterprise.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos