VMware Cloud Community
aamodei01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OPEN DISCUSSION - Policy Usage

Hello to everyone and thanks in advance!

We've had vROPS running in our environment for quite some time, but it was one of those "install it and forget about it completely" type installs and we weren't really getting anything out out it.

Now that I've completed another project, I am getting into this product to reconfig for actual value in our environment spanning our Prod/Dev/Remote Branch Offices and I wanted to pose a question to everyone:

How to you configure YOUR policies?

I understand the premise and purpose, but I want to know what others are doing in THEIR environments, not just VMware product fluff or the very basic "how-to" documentation samples.

I want to hear about the "how to AND here's what/why" in real-world policy usage and how it had worked or not worked for you.

My initial idea was to draw the line between VM's and then All Infrastructure Objects (Cluster/Host/Datastore, etc, etc).

Policies would be based on purpose intended - Dev VMs & Prod VMs (each with overrides for VM objects tuned for it's environment and potentially adjusted sub policies for special cases (sql, high load, etc) & Dev Infra & Prod Infra (each object tuned for it's environment and potentially adjusted sub policies for special cases (Lab Clusters, Remote Hosts, etc)

To start off, my initial idea was something like this:

• Set the policy marked "Default Policy" to the Default policy set as a catch all - In our version, which was upgraded over the years, the default policy was originally the one label "vSphere Solutions's Default Policy". I moved away from this as it was never clearly defined, and the 'Default Policy' pretty much matches the 'Base Setttings' policy. I figured this would be a good catch all until objects were grouped.
  • Create a Dev VM Policy and tune it with a VM Override Only, focus on Dev purposes - the "True Demand" Model that VMware talks about for consolidation on existing resources / Disable all NON VM metrics & NON VM Alerts
  • Create a Prod VM Policy and tune it with a VM Override Only, focus on Prod purposes - the "Memory Consumed" Model that VMware talks about for Performance / Disable all NON VM metrics & NON VM Alerts
  • Create a Dev Infra Policy and and tune it with a All Infra Objects (Cluster/Host/Datastore/vDS) Overrides Only, focus on Dev purposes - the "True Demand" Model that VMware talks about for consolidation on existing resources / Disable all VM metrics & VM Alerts
  • Create a Prod Infra Policy and and tune it with a All Infra Objects (Cluster/Host/Datastore/vDS) Overrides Only, focus on Prod purposes - the "Memory Consumed" Model that VMware talks about for consolidation on existing resources / Disable all VM metrics & VM Alerts

So, how do you guys do it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies