I'm probably missing something even though I thought I followed the documentation to the letter. What I would like to do is display the consumed and physical memory capacity per cluster, using two super metrics.
1) I created the super metrics:
Name: GVZ Cluster Physical Memory Capacity in GB
sum(This Resource: mem|host_provisioned)/1048576
mem|host_provisioned = Resources: Host system > memory > Provisioned Memory (KB)
Name: GVZ Cluster Total Memory Usage (GB)
sum(This Resource: mem|host_usage)/1048576
mem|host_usage = Resources: Host System > Memory > Usage (KB)
I tested both metrics with a graph and did get the results I expected:
2) Added an object type -> vCenter Adapter type = Cluster Compute Resource, which shows under object types as "VMware".
3) I went into "administration" -> Policies -> Policy Library and choose to edit the "Default Policy".
4) Immediately went to section "5 Collect Metrics and Properties" and filtered on my super metric and set it to "State" = "Local".
5) Back to the super metric section, I can now also see the default policies on the "Policies" tab.
After this I expect the Super Metric to be available for a new dashboard. So I create a new dashboard, in the widget list I select the "Top-N" widget. Go to edit the widget and click on the metric tab, set adapter type to "vCenter Adapter", select the "Cluster Computer Resource" object and then search for the super metric section.... and unfortunately can only see an old super metric I've once created but can't remember how.
Any help would be appreciated.