VMware Cloud Community
JoshBarfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not seeing vSphere tags when creating custom groups in vROps

I'm trying to create custom groups in vROps 6.1 using vSphere tags. I've had tags configured for a few days now but when I try to set up a custom group no tags are showing. When I "Click to load more" nothing else loads. I assume I'm missing some sort of connection somewhere? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

No tags.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshBarfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thought I would try rebooting the cluster because nothing else was working. I took the cluster offline, rebooted the replica, rebooted the master, and when everything came back up I immediately saw tags in my custom group. Not sure why that worked, but I'm happy!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Travdaddy10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm having very inconsistent results with vSphere tagging in vROps within clusters. Some days the tags work, some days they don't. I'm going to open a ticket. I'll let you know the results.FYI before version 6.1 vSphere tags weren't supported for clusters. I think they addressed it, but I'm not finding much on the subject.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I use vsphere tags to define the environment my clusters are in so i can display them on dashboards and i have not had any problems with them. As you can see from the below i can see them all. I don't have any tags on on Vms only cluster compute resources so i cant test you scenario.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Forgot to say i am 5.5 u3 something with vrops 6.1 
0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Are you logging in with a user defined account or as the local admin account when creating the group. I ask because i had a user that was an admin and could not see our custom tags but when i was logged in as the local admin account i could see them. it turned out that the user group didn't have permissions on the object. I think it was on the custom groups. Not sure it helps but worth sharing 
JoshBarfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've been logging in via Active Directory authentication. My user account shows the Administrator role with Access to All Objects. I tried logging in as the local admin and still didn't see any tags populate. Thought you might have been on to something there though. Thanks for the idea!

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

try doing a get-tag in power cli connecting to your vcenter and make sure it is listing them that will rule out, or in vcenter as the problem. I have attached what i get when running it.

0 Kudos
JoshBarfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I see all of my tags when I run Get-Tag in PowerCLI.

0 Kudos
Wayne1j
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check your default policy.

Collect Metrics and Properties - > Summary|vSphere Tag - State is Check Marked

Capture.PNG

My tags did not show up immediately in the list.

The Property Value selection is very bug for me in Chrome.  I had to choose "Click to load more" several times for anything to show up.

JoshBarfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the idea. I checked my default policy and I see the same as you. All Summary|vSphere Tag properties are enabled (Inherited). I've tried clicking the Property Value "Click to load more" area several times with the same result. I've tried Chrome, Edge, and Internet Explorer.

0 Kudos
Travdaddy10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@ sxnxrsxnxr. But could you use tags on VM's within the Cluster Compute Resource? I'm more interested in tags for VM's. I want to know if someone is actually able to use tags for grouping VM's in vROps.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

We have 14000+ VMs so we dont use tags on the VM level 

In our lab i created a Tag category called VM Group. I than assigned 3 tags, 1,2 & 3 to 3 VMs and assigned them to the VM Group category. Waited 1 collection cycle and was able to create a custom group. As you can see from the attachment 1 it shows the 3 tags. Using the contains variable and put VM in the properties field and select preview it shows me the 3 VMs that i tagged 1,2 & 3. see attachment 2. So in our environment i cant recreate the problem.

0 Kudos
Travdaddy10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks sxnxr! I wanted to know for sure that they had fixed the issue from previous versions. Are you at 6.2 or 6.1? I'm wondering if I need to upgrade.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

6.1 build 3038036
0 Kudos
JoshBarfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same build here. Wonder what I'm missing..

0 Kudos
Travdaddy10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's the build I'm on as well. I'm starting to wonder if it's a connectivity issue between vCenter and vROps. I've ensured I can see the tags in PowerCLI. I've ensured that my policy has enabled the collection state for vSphere tags. Something just isn't adding up.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The only other thing i can think of is that in post 8 on the policies. Under environment search for one of the VMs and just under the search box it will tell you what policy is being applied to that vm. Just make sure that that is the policy that has the tag collection enabled. I have 5 different policies for different environments and each environment collects different metrics. I have been caught out where i had the wrong policy applied to a group that affected a VM in a different environment.

If this is not the problem i think it would be time to call VMware as this might be one of many bugs.

0 Kudos
JoshBarfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thought I would try rebooting the cluster because nothing else was working. I took the cluster offline, rebooted the replica, rebooted the master, and when everything came back up I immediately saw tags in my custom group. Not sure why that worked, but I'm happy!

0 Kudos