We are having an unusual experience in which 4 Remote Collectors of vROps are showing status as "Initial" under software update tab of vROps Admin UI.
As shown in the above figure, 4 nodes are showing status as "Initial".
We earlier had, 7 nodes in the cluster, 1 Master, 1 Master Replica, 1 Data and 4 Remote Collector. We deployed 2 more Remote Collectors using Life Cycle Manager, the process started and once the deployment and initialization got complete the status of nodes showed as completed for all the 9 nodes for a brief moment of time and then in few seconds, it changed for 4 Remote Collector to Initial state.
The Cluster is online but still for some reason we see the above status under Software Update Tab in Admin UI.
We tried rebooting the affected Remote Collectors but the they were still showing as "Initial". We even tried taking cluster offline, rebooted the whole cluster but still the same case.
Requesting the team to please help with this case, is this some kind of a bug or is there any kind for stuck process that needs to be reinitiated or it is a known behavior.
Did LCM add the RCs one at a time per here?
I have run into issues in the past where manually adding multiple RCs at a time resulted in an unstable cluster. Adding them 1 at a time is slower, but they were added successfully.
Did you checked the collector logs if they provide any useful information related to the status?
You can find these:
In the menu, Administration, and in the left pane click Support > Logs.
LCM performs the deployment one by one, but not sure about the cluster initialization, I believe it adds up the nodes to cluster individually and not all the nodes at the same time because we never faced this before. We have done deployment a number of times using LCM and manually but never faced this.
The cluster is up and online with the all the nodes reporting perfectly. The newly deployed nodes or the nodes with status as Initial in Software Update have been made part of Collector Groups and are able to collect metrics/properties from the designated adapter. It is just the status in Software Update which is something unusual.
Also, in the logs, was unable to find any error and entry that suggests a possible problem.
Seems the issue was that the collectors were not properly updated with the Adapter configuration (not sure which adapter was left incomplete as there were no log entries related to it). But the problem got resolved, when we tried installing a new Adapter, now all the nodes are showing as completed.