VMware Cloud Community
tsmori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Networking question for vcops install

I'm trying to deploy vcops and we're using fixed IP addresses. I don't have a nice, clean private IP space to use, I have to use our main network. I give the two VMs different IP addresses and deploy the OVF.

When I start the vApp, both VMs are not connected to the network. They're not getting their IP addresses. I tried configuring the network at the VM level, as there is a nice interface for Network Configuration, but that gets ignored on reboot as apparently the VM has to have it's IP address on first boot, otherwise you have to start all over.

Any idea what I'm missing? Is it the IP Pool messing this up? I don't have an entire subnet to use and if I use the defaults, setting the last octet to 0, I end up with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, which isn't correct for the IP addresses I have to use.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tsmori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I figured out the netmask piece. Will try to reinstall it.

No dice. It seems convinced it's supposed to use DHCP. It starts up the DHCP client and then waits until it times out, states it has no IP address and you can't reconfigure it.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

dont deploy vCops without setting an IP-pool in vCenter first

0 Kudos
tsmori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the IP Pool set up, but it doesn't seem to be getting used. Both vms are deployed with no networking configured.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

then something is wrong with the IP-pool.
The two vCops VM get their gateway and dns-info from the IP-pool.
Only the individual IPs for both VMs are configured by the deploy wizard

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure when you create your IP pool that you assign it to the network your NICs vAPP nices are on. Also, do not actually enable the IP Pool. (leave the box unchecked).

This is a relaly good video on deploying the vAPP. Pay special attention to the IP Pool section

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
0 Kudos