VMware Cloud Community
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multiple Resource Names

While working with and maintaining the VM environment, we may need to remove and re-add resources (VMs, Hosts) and keep the same name.

This leaves old objects in the database.

Looking at resource lists in vCops (customUI) you will see several objects of the same name, but different IDs, and different "Identifier 2" values, while the Identifier 1 and Identifier 3 values are the same.

Is there a way to remove the records of old objects?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, this is a known issue. Removing an object from the vCenter inventory (ANY object - folder, VM, host, cluster etc.), results in a new mo-ref id. This is the ID you see in 'Identifier 2'. Identifier 1 is the name of the object and Identifier 3 is the vCenter GUID for that matters. When referencing to a resource, all Identifiers need to be correct, else a new resource is created - and that is exactly what is happening here.

You should note the Health is unknown "?" and the collection state is empty.

You can go to "Environment, Environment overview", sort the Health column (to quickly identify 'old' resources), click (either one, or multiple using shift click) resource, and click the "Delete Resource" icon. This removes the resource, removes data, keeping your database 'clean'.

vcops_delete_resource.png

Oh no, another Virtualisation signature...
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

TBKing, you can set vC Ops to automatically remove these deleted/old objects - see this KB -

VMware KB: Removing non-existent virtual machines from the vCenter Operations Manager vApp

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!

Environment-Environment Overview is where I'm at now.

....?

It appears that SRM creates and removes objects thereby further "polluting" the database with dead objects.  Is this correct?

Ack

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the KB

I'll give it a run.

0 Kudos
mlebied
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there integration available/planned between SRM and vCops??. If so, when? This would be a very valuable capability, especially for customers who use SRM for large data center migrations. As it stands now, when SRM migrates a workload, especially between vCenters, the old GUID is orphaned, and a new GUID is created, which is not included in the Application/Tier object.

0 Kudos
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for this, was just what I was looking for.

Danny

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
0 Kudos