VMware Cloud Community
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Move vCops vApp

Hi,

how to move the vCops vApp between two different vCenters?

I have create a new 5.5 vCenter and wan´t to move all my hosts, vm´s and vApps to the new vCenter.

I found some documentation in how to move it between a cluster, but not to a new vCenter.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
5 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

- you have deployed a new vCenter, and will be migrating all your hosts/vms to it - e.g. you haven't upgraded youur existing VC, right?

- that vc_ops, has been monitoring the old setup, and you want it to monitor the new setup, is that correct?

If that is the case, you'd better reinstall the vc_ops. All your objects will have new IDs in that new setup, including the VC itself, and there is no way to retain the historical data.

JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

OK,

but i have installed netapp plugin and some other thinks that i do not wan´t to reinstall.

Also i have create some dashboards that i do not wan´t to miss.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you can export the dashboards and then import them again on the new setup...

still if you have to move the vc_ops over, you can follow the procedure for cluster (VMware KB: Moving a VMware vCenter Operations Manager vApp from one cluster to another)

just make sure to have a backup of some sort before you start. I'd still reinstall it though.

there *might be* some caveats with the IP configuration and having the VMs talk to each other again,

so here is another helpful link on that Changing vCenter Operations Manager vApp IP Addresses — The Lone Sysadmin

0 Kudos
mlebied
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have successfully moved the vcops vApp between vCenters. There is a support article that GSS can provide you, but be aware that it’s not complete. There are steps to re-establish the SSL connection between the UI and Analytics VMs that aren’t well documented. The procedure does work successfully, there are just a few gotchas, like the IP Pools

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As with gradinka recommendation, you're better off just doing a reinstall if you're also moving all of your resources to the new vCenter. The resource IDs will be changing, duplicates created for the new resource IDs, and your old data will be just shy of useless since it will become essentially abandoned.

In terms of the KB cited, that was moving between clusters and not between vCenter.

There are ways that you can hack the setting within the vApps, but the cleanest way to do it is still doing a side-by-side migration. If you want to move vC Ops between vCenters, I'd suggest following the below KB for a side-by-side migration to do it in a supported manner:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203154...

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos