VMware Cloud Community
FromRome77
Contributor
Contributor

More policy same object

Hi all.

It's possible to have more policy with filter group but specify object can stay in more policy? For example i have one policy for power off virtual machine and another policy with snapshot age. When i apply one of this policy in custom group i can't use another policy with another custom group if one virtual machine stay in both of themgroup. I see that this virtual machine stay in only one policy.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Are you experiencing this issue ?

Please be precise , its bit confusing

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
FromRome77
Contributor
Contributor

In the finaly i want create more policy for exlude specific alarms. In each one i specify a custom group. In custom group i insert a specify virtual machine.If one virtual machine stay in two policy the same can receive settings only from one policy. In the inventary i view only one policy associated a virtual machine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

There are multiple policies that might apply to an object, the policy with the highest priority will take precedence. The default policy has the lowest priority

Please mark this as "correct" or " Helpfull" if this answers your query.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
FromRome77
Contributor
Contributor

I know. But if a vm stay in policy with priority 1 the same vm not receive policy with priority 2. If i remove the same vm from custom group in policy with priority 1 the same vm can receive policy with priority 2.

0 Kudos
mghal40
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is correct.

If in policy 1, your object matches or alerts, it will stop checking for addtional matches on the same condition. If the object does not matching anything in policy 1, then it will then try and match a condition in policy 2.

In your policy 1, I would advise that you create that for a specific set of conditions and/or objects. That way only the objects or conditions you want to treat differently will match.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

As I have explained you earlier, if an object is part of 2 policies importance or priority will be given to highest priority policy.

Object will not work on both policy, it works on one which is picked on precedence.

Please mark this as "correct" or " Helpfull" if this answers your query.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos