VMware Cloud Community
GrdLock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Monitoring guest disk space GB free - surely this is possible?

I'm finally getting my hands dirty on a new vRealize OM setup at my datacenter. One of the main things we need to do is monitor free space on our VMs. Initially, this seemed like an easy task.

I have servers that have many drives on them, and I need to monitor specific GB free on each drive. IE: If any disk gets below 15GB free, alert.

I can't seem to find a metric for this. There's a TOTAL system free GB metric, but that's useless as it combines all drives, so one drive could easily completely fill up and we never get an alert. Then there's a metric for % free of individual drives. But this is useless for us as well we want to monitor a set level of free space, not a percentage which varies too much. Is there really no metric and way to accomplish this? Seems like such a simple thing to monitor for and there's so many similar metrics that there should be a way to do this, but I can't find it. We previously used Veeam ONE and had no issues with doing this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is exactly the problem I tried to solve in my blog post here. Tl;DR is that vROps had this metric removed in the past for reasons unknown. I use super metrics to recreate this and provide that and more for you to use.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is exactly the problem I tried to solve in my blog post here. Tl;DR is that vROps had this metric removed in the past for reasons unknown. I use super metrics to recreate this and provide that and more for you to use.

0 Kudos
GrdLock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, this looks like exactly what I need. Makes no sense why VMware would remove that metric and make it such a pain to get such a basic alerting metric!

0 Kudos
GrdLock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, now I'm running into an interesting issue. It seems some buttons are missing for me in the Super Metric menu... only a delete button is available. No button to create/import a metric. Tried in three different browsers!

2018-01-25_15-20-46.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What license do you have?

0 Kudos
GrdLock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have Enterprise Plus, so should have the feature.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For vROps, I mean, not vSphere.

0 Kudos
GrdLock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh, I have the vSphere version, not the vRealize Suite/vCloud version. So I guess I won't be able to make use of this feature unless we upgrade. That's unfortunate. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nope, that's why.

0 Kudos