VMware Cloud Community
JCOEN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Modify default view for new users in Custom UI

Every time I add a new users in the vCOps custom UI they are always presented with a ton of dashboards when they first log in. Of course they can close the ones they do not want and they will stay closed. I want to be able to have a set of certain dashboards that are displayed when a new user first logs in to the custom UI. Is there a way to do this? I haven't found a way to do it in the custom UI, but figured there must be a way to do it from the UI or Analytics VM.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There's no great way to do this that I've found to-date. For the current users you can set the 'default' dashboard in the 'edit' area, however that doesn't traverse to other users when that dashboard is shared. I've seen some success in the dashboard 'reorder tabs' area, where the top dashboard will usually be the default opened when all users log in (assuming they have share perms to it). While that doesn't impact opened tabs, at least it'll control which tab opens first on login.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

I think first you need customize dash board then assign to group or specific user.

0 Kudos
JCOEN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right, but there are other dashboards that are displayed by default for any new user logging in. I want to customize that.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't think grace27 read the question.

jcoen, I don't believe there is a way to edit the default 'open' tabs of dashboards that are there upon log-in. Sometimes you can clean them up manually, then you're good after that, but initially on log-in it's going to usually open all of the dashboards you have access to.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
JCOEN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Mark. I've sent a note about this to our TAM to see if he can find something definitive. I'll post on here the answer I get back.

0 Kudos
wwandrei
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you see lots of dashboards (especially the ones that come as templates with new adapters installation, and also default vSphere templates). I`ve wasted alot of time with this and finally found a way. Go to custom-ui, dashobards > ADD. In the upper left corner  you have an icon "Create  Dashboard Using Template", click on it, then click  on Manage Templates. There you will see the default dashboard templates that are shared to the groups. Remove them as you like,  leave them to administrator group only. Now if you still see them after removing them, it means you have also LDAP configured so remove all the users from the groups and rerun the LDAP integration ... that is buggy. Hope it helps.

Andrei

0 Kudos