VMware Cloud Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mixing vROPS Advanced with vRealize Horizon

Has anyone successfully mixed vRealize Advanced licensing with vRealize for Horizon, using just 1 vRealize Manager???  I thought this was going to be pretty straight forward, but it's quite a nightmare.

Here's my situation.  I have a vCenter instance named ''vCenter1" that manages my Test/Dev and Production hosts/VMs (including my View Connection servers).  Then, I have another vCenter instance named "vCenter2" which manages my Horizon vDesktop Environment.

The situation gets tricky because I only have a license for 100 VMs for the vROPS advanced. So basically, I'm looking to use this to manage my 100 prod servers and ignore everything else, to keep me under 100.

I've tried playing around with license groups, it just doesn't work properly.

Should I be trying to combine this, or should I be using a separate vRealize Operations Manager for each environment? I want to integrate EMC Storage Analytics, and the since the EMC array controls storage for both environments, it made sense to try to keep them together.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

These threads may help, but I'm just passing them along:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/497543

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/497897

mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can get this done, it's just a matter of making the Licensing Groups populated properly. I'd use the Advanced license for the Licensing Group of vCenter1, with the Horizon license for everything else. The trick to the licensing groups is you need to refresh the views/panes to reflect the group population (otherwise you'll 'think' it's not working)), and also ensure that you'd got the members of the groups populating properly.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the links Bleeder

Thanks Mark! From working with support, we have the Advanced license assigned to the default "Product Licensing" product group. Is this what you meant? Initially, I created an "Advanced License" license group but we couldn't get it to work with support

Mike

0 Kudos